Author Topic: Louis Smith Swivel Breech FL Kentucky Rifle  (Read 6753 times)

vhawk

Louis Smith Swivel Breech FL Kentucky Rifle
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:28:35 AM »
Hello everyone:
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I noticed someone else recently posted that they had a Louis Smith Kentucky rifle and pistol, so I decided to post some pics of my swivel breech Louis Smith FL rifle to see if anyone can add to my understanding of the person who built this rifle and what it may be worth.
I'm a long time collector of primarily militaria, but have also had the opportunity to pick up a number of kentuckies, a couple of engraved powder horns, a blunderbuss and a queen Anne pistol over the years.  
When I bought the Louis Smith I knew it was a contemporary builder, but I loved the look of the rifle and it has looked great over my fireplace for the past 25 years.
I've been retired for approx 10 years so at some point in time I will need to dispose of my collection (before my kids put them in a garage sale when I'm gone) - so It would be nice to know if these contemporary rifle have much value.
Thanks in advance

BTW, Both barrels are signed (I've only shown the signature on one of the barrels).

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:25:29 AM by vhawk »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Louis Smith FL O/U Kentucky Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:39 AM »
Louis Smith was might we might call a revival period builder. Someone who worked well before recreating longrifles became popular in the mid 70's at the advent of the  bicentennial. Louis was one of the best. I'd date this to the mid 70's. Looks like Russ Hamm parts to the lock. A valuable longrifle.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
I knew Louis when I was in the barrel making business, made barrels for him.  Louis was good friends to Raymond and
George Jenkins who lived in Lenoir City, Tenn.   Unless I a mistaken, I think there are some of Louis's guns shown in Bob
Weils book on Contemporary gunbuilders.......Don

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »
WEil's book has some of his later stuff.

Offline cable

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »
wow, that is great work.  what caliber?  if you decide to sell let me know and / or post it for sale here if you can.

vhawk

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »
wow, that is great work.  what caliber?  if you decide to sell let me know and / or post it for sale here if you can.

Will do.  ;)
I'm 10 years into retirement, so at some point in the not to distant future, I will need to begin disposing of my rather extensive collection.
I was hoping that someone here would have an idea of fair valuation on the "Louis Smith"  O/U  FL rifle.

ottawa

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
Is that a swivel breach??

vhawk

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
Is that a swivel breach??

Yes, that's probably the more accurate nomenclature. I'll change the topic tiltle to match.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:23:45 AM by vhawk »