Author Topic: .58 sharon barrel  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
.58 sharon barrel
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »
Does anybody know the rate of twist on a Sharon .58 caliber barrel?

A friend in Colorado Springs cleaned out a gun shop of Sharon barrels many years ago.  In the batch were two .58 calibers - inch across the flats and 36 inches long.  He is building a half stock with one and gave me the other.  Looking in the barrel I'd guess at least  1 in 60 or maybe 1 in 72.  Mine will be some form of flint gun - his will be percussion.  I thought it likely that some of you would know the twist.  After a nap I'll measure it, but thought I'd check.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

76 warlock

Re: .58 sharon barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »
It was 1-72 I have 3 or 4 of them I bought when Old West Arms closed the out.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
Thanks.  When I eye-balled it I thought I was seeing a half turn in the barrel length.  With a 36" barrel  1 in 72" seemed logical.   Appreciate the confirmation.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:09:46 AM »
1-72 FOR SURE.