Author Topic: Garrett Wade Ultimate Versatile Vise  (Read 20309 times)

Joe S

Garrett Wade Ultimate Versatile Vise
« on: August 19, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »
I bought one of Garrett Wade’s Ultimate Versatile Vises that was discussed at length a couple of months ago.  Within four to five hours of use, it was falling apart.  The movable jaw has a collar that connects the jaw to the screw.  This collar now slides out when you turn the screw, so that you have to move the jaw by hand (green arrow).  The jaws are no longer square (yellow arrows).  Additionally, there are significant nicks in the jaw from where I was holding a 1018 steel rod (red arrows).

Other than those problems, I liked the design of the vise.

Offline Kermit

Re: Garrett Wade Ultimate Versatile Vise
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:50:47 AM »
I'd sure send it back! >:(
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

BILL OKLAHOMA CITY

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
thanks for the heads up.
Bill

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
Keep your eyes peeled for a good machinist vise at yard sales and antique shops. A really good USA vise from L.S. Starrett, new, is about $800.

There were several at the Dixon's Fair this year, across the street. Look for drop forged vises, with replaceable jaws. See how much shake there is between the nut and screw before purchasing, and if the sliding jaw wiggles in the housing excessively.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
I bought a Wilton multipurpose 5" vise from either Lowes or Home Depot, last year, that seems to be a good vise. You might check it out.

God bless

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »
I'd send it back too.  How does this vise compare with the Versa knockoffs sold as Parrot vises?  I know that Grizzly has some good prices on them.

g.pennell

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
I've been using my "Grizzly" vise for about 4 years now with no problems...and I'm not particularly easy on my tools.  I've even used it with lead jaws to remove/install a couple of single shot rifle barrels (too lazy to go use the big 6" machinest's vise at my uncle's shop).  Matter of fact, I'm considering buying another for the other end of my workbench, and doing the swivel-jaw modification on it.

Greg

California Kid

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
g. pennel, what dia. is the large hole for the tilting function in yours? I have one of the original veras-vices with the tilt arbor, but it is shot. I'm wondering if the grizzly was the same size hole so I could use it to replace my old vise and use my existing tilt arbor.

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »
I have sent it back.  Garrett Wade has a 90 day return policy.  I think I’m outside that by a couple of weeks.  It will be interesting to see what they do.

Too bad about the quality of this vise.  It’s a new product for them, and I’m sure it’s just startup problems getting the vise manufactured in China.  Give them some time, and  I expect  they’ll have the quality problems solved.  In the meantime, I think I’ll look for an American made vise.

I know several people who have the parrot vise.  It seems to be reasonable quality.

g.pennell

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
Kid, I'll measure it for ya when I get home from work. 

Greg

California Kid

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
OK thanks. My old tilt arbor is about 1.495". I wonder if they copied them exactly, but something close should work as long as it fits on the arbor.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:31:40 PM »
This may be an apples vs. oranges issue.
If you want a heavy machinists vise for metal work, the versa vise may not be the best choice.  it does not have enough mass, and the movable mounting may not be rigid enough and no really solid "anvil" surface.  Others vises similar to it are sold for guitar makers because of the tilting axis, and because there are accessory vise jaws that adapt to nonparallel surfaces.  Mine is great for stock work.  Garret Wade also sells a Pattern makers vise that holds tapered objects very securely, but has only 1 axis of motion.  Also great for stock and wood work.

For heavy metal work, there are good suggestions above.

holzwurm

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
I worked with G-W during their design work up on the new vise. (I was a "consultant).  They wound up using my vise and the swing arms I use to sell as the pattern solution they took to China.  I was disappointed with the results that came out of China. The swing arm ONLY fits this G-W vise. They sent me one and I tried the arm on every vise I could find but he arm didn't fit, either too small or a loose sloppy fit.  They also failed to include the movable rear jaw in the design they sent to China in spite of them using the vise on my web page vise as their pattern. Over all I am disappointed with the end produce. The one they sent me will probably wind up on the auction table in friendship.

IMHO, I'd send the vise back with pictures of the failures and go buy a better vise. The older Gyro or Versa Vises are still around somewhere and there is a vise that has two long arms with a pair of movable wood jaws that looks good. I don't recall the name but one student had one at the rifle building class at WKSU this past summer. And, FWIW, Ron Ehlert had one on his bench and was using it when he passed away. His old Gyro-Vise had been relegated to the under the bench.

Also, Mike Lee discovered the casting molds use in the manufacture of the original Versa-Vise back in the 70's I think. He bought up the molds and had another mill cast the vises. He was selling them at Friendship and they look like a good tool, albit a little pricy.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 10:42:18 PM »
I have one of the original Versa Vises.  It was originally sold as the gunbuilder's vice. I've had it about 15 years.  I believe the cost was around $200.  I can't quite remember the mans name.  I believe it was Steve something.

Best vice I've ever owned.  It has the post that Jerry was talking about designing already on it  It is bullet proof.  Hard as nails.   Smooth jaws, heavy screw, small anvil.  Made in the USA.  You can pound on it with a hammer and not leave a mark  (ask how I know).
All of the recent ones I've seen seem to be junk compared to this.
In His grip,

Dane

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 01:27:43 AM »
My vise is a "Parrot Vise" from Grizzley that has been modified by me to work the same as the Garret Wade.  It's a cheap Chinese vise that only cost $45, or so.  Have the same condition of the faces of the jaws not staying parrallel.  Can't comment on the hardness of the jaws since I almost never use it to hold metal, only wood with pads. 

I use a different, machinist's, vise for all metal work.

The versatility of the Garret Wade, and my, set up is extremely useful for stock shaping.  I rarely use a precarve, almost always work from the blank with only the barrel and ram rod groove and hole precut by either me (if a straight barrel) or Dave Rase, if swamped.

Dave Dolliver

Offline fm tim

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 03:34:46 AM »
holzwurm,

The one with the long arms and wood jaw faces is the "patternmakers vise" from Garret Wade.  Brownells also used to sell it.  On[y 1 axis of travel, but way sturdier than the versa vise" type for non-parallel shapes.  Not useable for serious metal work because of the wood jaw faces.

Joe S

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 06:38:14 AM »
Just got this on eBay for $91.  The seller says it’s in good condition and has a 7 day return policy. What do you think? 

California Kid

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
That's the same one I have, but mine has the swivel arbor with it. I got it from Steve Wright 0ver 20 years ago. I'm wondering if the big hole in the side is the same as the Grizzly or the one woodcraft sells. They are great for stock work, but as has been said not so much for metal work such as breech plug removal, squeezing thimbles patch boxes, etc.

g.pennell

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
Kid,

Sorry to keep ya hanging on that...mine is the one marketed by Grizzly (painted green), and the base post is 1.5" in diameter.  I put a set of plywood faces on mine...IIRC, the holes were already there, but not tapped.  I drilled them out and tapped for the 1/4" flat-head screws that I used to fasten the faces with.

Greg

California Kid

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply. What I need is the dia. of the big hole in the side of the vice. Do you have a caliper that you could measure the hole with?

Offline fm tim

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
If you look around via Google for "parrto vise", you can obtain aluminum inserts with a low triangular shape on the back side.  These jaws can rock in the vise to hold nonparallel sided items easily.  Probably come with a rubber face glued on.

Birddog6

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
I have two vices mounted on my bench, one is a Wilton 6" machinist vice for the serious stuff & I put brass sheets over the jaws or leather for dif things I don't want to mar. Got it at Lowes for ? $ 119. I think.  Other vice is a Parrot Vice from  Woodcrafts (green& $39.) and I put padded jaws on it, have the pivot piece under it that I got from Jerry Crawford (Holzum)  I am pleased with it, BUT  it is for light duty & not for clamping steel & etc. as it is just not make to do heavy work, as has been pointed out.

Have another parrot vice I slip off Jerry's mount & use for working knife blades, on & off in 5 seconds & back, works good for what I need it for.

On my other bench I use for really big stuff I have a huge Rigid or Wilton, can't remember which. But it is a hoss & must weigh over 100#.  I bought it at a machine shop auction for $100 & it was a steal. Bought 3 others as well for the other shop. One like that would cost 5-700 bucks new I guess.  Today, a cheap vice is not going to hold up to hard work or be precision, IMHO.

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:50:09 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
CA Kid - I also bought mine from Steve when he was at Dixions one year way back in the early 80's. It's a good wood working vise and a LIGHT duty metal vise. It was not designed for rough metal work - ;)

That's the same one I have, but mine has the swivel arbor with it. I got it from Steve Wright 0ver 20 years ago. I'm wondering if the big hole in the side is the same as the Grizzly or the one woodcraft sells. They are great for stock work, but as has been said not so much for metal work such as breech plug removal, squeezing thimbles patch boxes, etc.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

g.pennell

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »
Kid,

I went down and re-measured that thing for ya.  The best I can measure it the stub-shaft on the base is 1.490", and the hole in the side is 1.495".  I guess I was looking at the caliper through the wrong part of my bifocals the first time... :-\

California Kid

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
OK, thanks. Sounds like it will work with my existing tilt arbor. I'm also going to get a machinist vice for heavier work. Lost the old one I had. It was about worn out any way, probably 80 yrs. old!