Author Topic: Fake Striping a plain stock  (Read 9295 times)

Red Owl

Fake Striping a plain stock
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:20:04 AM »
I am building a generic type plains rifle and I want to put on stripes. From various tutorials I learned a brush clipped to paint stripes is usually used. I still have a few questions.
1. I am worried about the stain bleeding too far or bleeding all the stripes together. In some types of wood finishing a resist of sorts is used. In any event what type stain should be used and is any other preparation done?
2. The wood in between the stripes, is that left as is or stained? or aqua fortis the whole thing after the stripes?
3. Final finish? Linseed oil? Varnish or some sort?
Thanks for any help.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Fake Striping a plain stock
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
Jack Brooks website has all you need to know.
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/theclassroom.htm
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:16:24 AM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »
Rich beat me to it.....  here's a link to a previous discussion, including the Brooks link.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5366.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

nvandal

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »
I make a lot of period furniture with painted finishes. A particularly effective one is faux tiger maple. Honestly, it can produce a tiger maple you would swear is genuine, even from only inches away. First, there is a basic understanding that the dark stripes ate really the softer wood since they ansorb any stain more. The painting method I use begins with a base coat of mustard yellow paint. You want some yellowish color as your base, and the reddish or brownish overall color comes from. You can purchase glazes at paint stores, but I use a historically documented ( 19th century/ as when guns were produced )glaze made with dry pigment suspended in white vinegar with some corn syrup added to serve as a binder. The best color is burnt sienna. You brush the glaze on over the base. It goes on pretty thinly. Then, before it dries, you use a piece of rolled up newspaper, pencil size or less. Daub it in the glaze, making the tiger stripes. Make a bunch of roll of slightly different sizes because once they get really soaked they are no longer effective. After it all dries, coat it with 2 to 3 coats of varnish.
On a gun, I would use an oil-based glaze, or even thinned oil paint. It doesn't look quite as real, but is still as close as the Lemans. My guess is these stocks were done in some variation of this method. Painted stripes never look real because they interact with the paint very inconsistently. Either too much or too little paint on the bristles, These brushes ( check out Johnson Pain in Boston, MA ) are generally used to stimulate long grain, not stripes that run across the grain. Even if this doesn't work for you, try it anyhow. It's a blast to do.
For what it's worth,
Norm Vandal

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:59:58 AM »
Ah, the roles of newsprint laid on the curved wood.....very clever!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline ChipK

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »
Steve Skillman out in Washington State has a process that works very well for him. He is on the list and a search for him will find his email.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:37:02 AM by ChipK »

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Good advice on the base coat, and it is fun to try.  Some orange stain might work well, also.  I've only done it once, but it was fun.  I used oil-based "ebony" stain for the stripes painted on with twisted tip of paper towel, on top of a very reddish mix of oil stains.  I would like to try it again, just for fun of the challenge.

If you get stripes that you like, they will look even better if there is some darker (black and/or reddish) tint in the finish, in my opinion.  I don't really understand why, because it goes beyond simply "hiding" detail (although it does blur the boundaries), but it seems to help and makes up in some way for the chatoyance (sp?)/depth that "faux" striped maple never will have.  In terms of time, it is cheaper just to buy a better grade of maple, but the striping thing can be interesting. 

Red Owl

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:25:32 PM »
I have been looking at some of the old Leman guns, actually the striping varied a little from gun to gun. I also wanted to do some skip line checkering around the stock- and that was another issue, if I do the checkering after the striping, then where I cut won't be striped (although I could touch it up). If I checker first, I am worried the dye used to stripe may run along the cut lines and get everything bled together.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:27:42 PM by Red Owl »

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:07:25 AM »
The few Lemans with faux stripes that I've seen pictures of didn't seem to try real hard to maintain the viewer's "suspension of disbelief" and they didn't have checkering either, but you have a good point about the checkering.  Since checkering is done after stain (I believe), won't it disrupt the pattern quite a bit even on real striping?  Perhaps it would be more realistic (in terms of "mass production") rifles just to let the chips (or stripes) fall where they may?

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:38:46 AM »
Modern guns are usually checkered after the finish is applied probably because they want real sharp diamonds and they would be filled with finish if finish were not applied first.  Most of the checkering I have seen on muzzleloaders is flat topped checkering where sharpness of checkering is not as important.  When I have done muzzleloader checkering I did it before stain and finish were applied and accepted what resulted. 

Right now there's an antique Leman in the shop and the checkering is so flat topped as to be only decoration and no increased grip is obtained.  Nesbitt applied staining and striping after checkeringon a project and results were quite acceptable.

We use Laurel Mtn base stain and dark brown leather die for stripes applie with a fine artist's brush.

Dave Dolliver

Red Owl

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 05:05:05 AM »
Thanks Dave, that's the info I needed. I'm still going to practice first on some scrap maple but starting with the right materials saves a lot of experimenting.
   From the old evidence, it sounds like a lot of stocks were varnished. How do you finish the stocks you have striped? In other words I don't want a finish that could dissolve the stripes, if that makes sense.

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »
I build up a finish with coats of tung oil finish: about 4 for a matte finish, 8 to 10 for more gloss.
Nesbitt used a coat of the tung oil I use for a sealer then several coats of Tru Oil.  I'm sure the more knowledgeable researchers will tell you the antique guns were finished usually with various home made varnishes often using linseed oil as a carrier for resins and drying (oxidising) agents.

Dave Dolliver