Author Topic: Update on my first build. Pics  (Read 8008 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Update on my first build. Pics
« on: August 20, 2010, 04:57:27 AM »
  I can honestly say I admire anyone who only uses a File to shape thier stock.  :oWOW what a task.  Still have ALOT to do but had to put it up for the next seven days.  Thought I'd share what I've done so far.  Open for suggestion.

Rich

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Update on my first build. Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:35:04 AM »
Rich, the area around your lock is much too square. The beavertails and lock mouldings are really quite shallow on original guns. They traditionally are cut in AFTER the lock/wrist forestock areas are rasped down to shape. In other wors, develop the shape FIRST, then, and only then, cut in the beavertails and lock moulding.

Your inlet looks good, your wood is coming into shape, my friend. I'll try to dig out some photos in stages and post them to explain what I mean.

Keep up the good work.

Tom

This is the lock area, all shaped. The form must be complete, and you must be happy with how the fore end meets the lock area, and how the wrist comes into the lock area. This is the heart of the gun. Do not decorate until you have the form finished.

The mouldings are then drawn on with a pencil, erased and re-drawn until you like the result. Cut the moulding lines in. I use a parting tool, but you can stab the line in, or use a knife.

Cut the background carefully away, leaving the beavertails and lock panel proud. I like a fishtail gouge for this. Then I use a scraper to level and smooth the surface.

Finished moulding, backgrounded and scraped. The relief is very shallow, maybe 1/32. But that depth depends on the gun, the style you are emulating, etc. Some guns just have an incised line for delineating the mouldings, others, like this one, relieve the background.

Scraped, stained and finished. The relief is very shallow, but it shows well. You don't need much depth to make the mouldings stand out.

I hope this helps describe what I mean.

Tom
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:59:26 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »
I see what your saying.  I will try to round the squared areas with needle files.  I will remember this on my next build.  Hope to have this one finished ASAP.  Gotta wait till my next Days off to do anything.  At least it will give me time to figure out how to attack my mistakes.

Thanks Acer

Rich

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:03:18 AM »
Rich, a #50 Nicholson rasp is much nice to take off the wood. You can round off your wrist an lock areas quickly, but leave a smooth finish, smooth enough to scrape or file.

Tom

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:14:42 AM »
Another gun, still in the chubby stage, where the wood is being taken down around the wrist, the grip, and the lock area.

Differnt view, same gun, with more wood off. I take some wood off here, look, then take some wood off there, look again. Keep looking, turning the gun, cautiously taking wood off until you are pleased with the shape. This is the most important part of the build because the look and lines of a gun are tied to this area. If it's clunky in this area, it will show like a sore thumb. Don't rush this stage. It takes time to develop good form.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »
I will be using this as a refrence. :oWoW thanks a million Acer HUGE HELP

Rich

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »

Acer,
Is that one you are building now? I have been looking for a triggerguard like that for awhile. Where did you get it?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:00:43 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »
El, I made the pattern, taken from an original gun. I have the master, but no spare castings. You can PM me if you're serious.

I am just about done with this gun, pictures soon. I have to finish the lock, and caseharden it, put a little more finish on the wood.
Tom

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:22:55 AM »
Rich,

I have never built a gun yet, but plan to next summer.  Like you I want to start with a blank, I am still considering a kit.   I appreciate you placing your images and progresson here.  I am learnign a lot for your post and the responce of others. 

Coryjoe,

ps. How did the buttplate turn out

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:06:09 AM »
Rich,

I have never built a gun yet, but plan to next summer.  Like you I want to start with a blank, I am still considering a kit.   I appreciate you placing your images and progresson here.  I am learnign a lot for your post and the responce of others. 

Coryjoe,

ps. How did the buttplate turn out
Yeah what not to do. I honestly wish I started with a pre-carve. I have found out my train of thought is Bass Ackwards.  Never the less I will countinue with my first build Changing what I can and excepting the mistakes I can't fix.  Thank GOD I have people here that even though it seems I take one step forward then two steps back. Don't bash my efforts.
As for the Buttplate... It's on hold.

Rich

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Not that this applies directly to your build, Rich, but it's how I like to think about developing the form for my guns. This is how I like to think about the form of the gun flowing thru from wrist to grip, and the lock panels and tang carving sometimes look as if they were applied. But it's that flow through from wrist to grip that carries the eye, not the decoration. Lock panels are just raised platforms to mount the lock on. Blend panel with wrist and grip and then decorate.

Wrist shape 'slides' underneath tang carving. Note that tang is quite a bit higher than the writ=st itself. This is where a carving is used to transition from one plane to the next. In this case, the round wrist slips underneath the raised platform created by the flat tang. The carving flares down from the tang platform to the round of the wrist. All this is not easy to do, but when you have a firm idea of the shape of the wrist, and where it must go, you can place your carvings more effectively.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:25:33 PM by Acer Saccharum »

northmn

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:53 PM »
Rich,

Coryjo

There is a difference between starting with a kit and using precarved stocks.  Some kits can be a little more costly because they include things for example, like underpinning tenons and front sights that I can make.  A blank, even if you send it off to get the barrel channel and ramrod system inletted can be a challenge for a new builder.  It takes a couple of rifles or so to get the "feel" for what you are doing.  It also does not hurt to look at any well built rifles close up and in hand.  I started by trying to copy from B&W pictures and did not have the detail available on this site.  This site really does help. 

DP

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
I can honestly say I went too far in the tang area for carving.  Unless I thin the tang a little more. I never thought about that till just now.  That what I like about this forum.  Other people provoked thought.  I've made SEVERAL mistakes my first time around If not for the shared knowledge found here I would continue.

Thank you all

Rich

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »
You can file that tang down, thin it, bend it. Flatten it out with a hammer if you have inlet gaps. Many ways to make a mistake look intentional.

Keep up the good work.

black ed

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 05:11:01 AM »
For  40 years I was a finish carpenter.
I ALWAYS told my men that it's not a mistake until you can't fix it.
Do your best, listen to constructive criticism, and accept help as needed.
Life is a learning experience
Ed

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 05:31:20 AM »
Great explanatory sketch Tom.
Kunk