Author Topic: What is the trick to remove a breech plug from a Rice barrel?  (Read 13433 times)

BILL OKLAHOMA CITY

What is the trick to remove a breech plug from a Rice barrel?
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
I need help.
thank you,
Bill

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: What is the trick to remove a breech plug from a Rice barrel?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Righty tighty, lefty loosie!   A good strong vise, and a minimum of a 12" adjustable wrench (preferably a bit larger)  Tighten the wrench down on the plug from the underside and give the wrench a smart hit with a mallet and screw out the plug. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:57:19 PM »
A couple of weeks working out in the Gym! Then tackle it.
They put them in tight   ::)
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »
To keep the barrel from turning in the vise:
If your barrel is tapered, but the vise jaws are parallel, you will need a tapered shim or a set of maple inserts that fit the octagonal part.
Sprinkle the barrel with rosin, like violin rosin, for a better grip. The vise must be TIGHT. When you start leaning on the wrench, watch ththe barrel, to make sure it's not slipping.

To keep from buggering up the top flat of the breechplug:
I put my wrench on the plug from the underside. I don't let the tips of the wrench jaws go past the top finished surface of the plug. Inspect your wrench jaws to see that there are no burrs. File and polish any rough spots.

How many originals do we see with pipe wrench marks, toothy jaw marks, buggered up plugs, etc? Almost all original guns have been chewed up, probably for lack of a good vise.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
I agree that Rice bbls sometimes have excessively tight breech plugs. Clamp the bbl tightly  in the vise between copper or brass jaws, place  copper or brass shims on either side of the bolster, use at least a 12" wrench from the underside of the bolster and whack w/ a mallet. Ensure you're aware of the right hand threads and unscew accordingly. Rice bbls have a larger shutoff shoulder at the bore level and this seems to be the reason for excessive tightness. Good luck....Fred

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
It took me a 12" crescent and a 3' piece of pipe and all most all my weight to get mine loose. It was so tight I felt I couldn't get it back where it was so I rebreached the plug to a different flat. First build so I probably didn't have  to rebreach but I felt uneasy about having to remove the plug a bunch of times during the build and having to use so much pressure to get it on the right flat every time. 

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
Also, make sure that you aren't clamping the barrel right on the threads themselves. That can make things more difficult.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »
Thats right, clamp barrel back from breech end 1/2 plus inches or you could cace the barrel into the threads even tighter. I made a breech plug wrench out of two lenghts of 1" key stock. Two holes(5/16) on each side of a space of about 2", then I can tighten the 4 5/16 bolts to the contour of the plug so not to put those wrench dings in it.       Gary

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
all good advise. I use a different approach with a set of Vee blocks made of hard oak. Clamp barrel in the blocks upside down, the barrel, not the blocks, and use an appropriate wrench.

I have been meaning to make a wrench similar to Gary's, with  one arm of the wrench about 18 inches long, but haven't gotten around to it.

God bless

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »
I have not tackled a Rice barrel but have a large antique waterpump wrench that is very hard for a breechplug to resist.  It is kind of like an adjustable wrench that is an inch thick.  One can sometimes find them cheap in antique shops or flea markets.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

BILL OKLAHOMA CITY

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:56:40 AM »
Thank you, very much, folks.
A larger vice.
maple shims.
12" adjustable wrench.
30" breaker pipe.

Got er done.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:03:13 AM »
I purchased a breech plug wrench similar to Gary's description from Stonewall Creek I believe. I would be simple to make, but his was reasonably priced.
Kunk

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »
Thank you, very much, folks.
A larger vice.
maple shims.
12" adjustable wrench.
30" breaker pipe.

Got er done.

Maple Shims? NNNOOOOOOOO. Wooden shims, aka liners for the vise jaws will only allow the barrel to rotate in the vise, really making a mess of things.

If you pad the jaws of the vise, use something like 1/16" or thicker brass.

The wooden Vee blocks I mentioned are cut into a Vee shape on one side, to hold the barrel securely, and flat on the back.

I'll try to post a photo later today, when I get time.

God bless

sean69

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 12:11:42 AM »
For the benefit of people running across this thread in a search [like me]

trying to remove the plug from a Rice swamped barrel:

I had to make some copper jaws & shims to hold the barrel securely [jaws made out of an old copper pipe - took about 10 minutes a jaw. Then leaned on it with a very long wrench - I could actually hear the vice start to break loose. Gonna have to shore that up.

The plug turns out counter clockwise if the plug is facing/nearest you

Here's what it looks like:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:12:09 AM by sean69 »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 12:17:13 AM »
I use pretty much the same setup as sean69.  Heavy sheet brass jaws in a 5" vise.  Large 10" adjustable open end wrench and a wooden mallet.  One or two smacks and it is on it way out.
David 

Offline JBJ

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 01:08:35 AM »
When you put it back, be sure and carefully align the index marks that Rice stamps on the bottom flat - no more and no less. I have better luck holding the barrel closer to the breech plug but not on the threaded area of the barrel.
J.B.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 01:47:34 AM »
Bill ; Good afternoon Sir. I've used a 15 inch crescent wrench. I made and use wood maple tapered shims in a 71 pound machinest vice. One time years back I had to use a cheater pipe to extent the wrench handle length. Good luck. AJ.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:48:59 AM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 02:58:25 AM »
I went through this stuck breech plug thing a short time ago.  Look this referenced thread over:

If the plug doesn't come out easily, you might want to read through this thread before you apply brute force and possibly damage something (maybe yourself).  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34631.0  Jerry's method of heating the breech end cherry red and letting it cool slowly really works well without fuss, muss, or possible damage to the tang or breech. 

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 03:11:05 AM »
Wow!  This thread will be drawing social security soon.  I have now built 3 rifles using Rice barrels.  I am also using a large hardware store vice, aluminum jaw pads and shims if required, and my trusty antique waterpump wrench.  I use thin aluminum flashing to shim the smaller ends, behind the aluminum vice jaws.  So far, so good.  The aluminum seems to be soft enough to mash a little if needed, but hard enough not to let the barrel slip.  I once tried flat wood jaw pads, and it didn't work well, causing the barrel to flip out of the vice and be damaged. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Turtle

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
 I have two aluminum vise plates with 3 female inside flats each I got from Brownells years ago that work great holding octagon barrels in a vise. I never had to shim them for swampers.Don't know if they still have them.
                                                           Turtle

Offline retired fella

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:19 AM »
I have used flat lead flashing before it becomes round ball.  No problem.

kaintuck

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »
Coated the breach plug inside with peanut butter, left it in the shop overnight  in Dave's shop, and the mice undid it for me getting to the peanut butter.......

Tomtom
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:25:24 PM by kaintuck »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »
People should understand that high torque crush fitting of breechplugs is simply a short cut and is not necessary. Its possible to distort the bore if too much vise pressure in applied. Clamping heavily at the plug can tighten the barrel on the plug. If the breech is properly fitted long wrenches are not needed.
Breech plug fitting so that the plug can be removed and reinstalled without turning past takes some work with the wrench and file so that when the tang is properly aligned with the top flat and will not easily go farther if reinstalled. This can be done by brute force alone. But its not the best way.
Slow careful fitting will give the same result without all the stress on the parts or burring the end of the bore.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Turtle

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
 The tightest breech plugs I ever experienced were on TC Hawkens. These weren't corroded-just TIGHT!. Even with my vice blocks and the special TC breech plug wrenches, they were a bear. I ended up putting one in the freezer and heating the barrel. I agree that a properly fitted plug doesn't need to be so tight, but we sometimes need to deal with the cards we are dealt.
                                                         Turtle

Offline c deperro

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
 I have had that problem twice. Your standard 4 or 6 inch vice that you buy from the hardware store just wont cut it. You need a heavy duty vice. I now use a old post vice with copper lined jaws and an 18 crescent wrench. It worked like a charm on them.