Author Topic: Precarve  (Read 2673 times)

Offline frogwalking

Precarve
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »
I recently received a replacement stock that I have been waiting on for over 6 months.  It looks pretty good except the forward barrel tennon precarved groove extends completely through the wood into the ramrod channel.  The web between the ramrod channel and the barrel is only 0.150 inch thick at this point.  The  barrel is tapered and flared. 

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to proceed.  Oh.  The stock is walnut and the tennon is a solder on one at this location.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Simon

Re: Precarve
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:13:41 AM »
Frog , that's more than 1/8 inch.  You can file the bottom of the tennon so that it won,t extend into the ranrod groove.  You can also file the base thinner before you solder it on.  You could also cut a very shallow dovetail and solder the tennon into the dovetail.  A combination of these should allow you to get the the tennon on without it going into the ramrod groove.  If the hole under the ramrod bothers you, fill it with a small chip from under the buttplate. 
Mel Kidd

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »
I usually specify a 3/16 web.  My preferred lugs are 3/16  tall above the barrel surface.  I therefore cut all my lug inlets completely thru to the ramrod channel.  I'm NOT building for any judges except the customer and none have objected yet.  I have been told that many antiques also have their inlets cut all the way through.  But we don't see many originals out this way to verify that.

Dave Dolliver

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »

Mr. Dolliver,
Here is an original with the inlets through.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
Thanks Dave and James.  I shall proceed as suggested. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.