General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Patch Lube Experiment(s)

(1/3) > >>

Leatherbelly:
 Fellow Shooters,
  I'll try not to bore you with a little story.
 Yesterday I got sent on a mission to pick up some large tires for our front end loader(work). I noticed the tire man slopping some sort of slippery fluid on the bead of some tires he was mounting. Being curious,I asked him what it was. He said it was a vegetable based soap and gave me a handfull of this stuff that is in gel form. He said they mix it 70-30,water to soap. I wetted my fingers with this concoction and it feels very slippery. Too slippery! My little mind starts to thinking,maybe a new lube?  So my first experiment will be Winter Washer Fluid,(the blue stuff) and half a cup of the gel.I'll try that first for sliptivity and if it feels "right", I'll give it a try in my .40. If I can shoot all day without problems due to fouling etc...
 Then give it the ultimate test in the smoothgun. Anyone else do this kind of experimenting?

Harnic:
After that Murphys oil soap fiasco of a couple winters ago I think I'll stick with Hoppes #9+ Roy!  That !@*%&@ soap was pretty hard to get out of the grooves at the end of the day!  Made for gobs of brown goop!  Just keep your pre-lubed patches in your pocket where they don't freeze buddy!  Then you can forget the wwwf. ;)

BrownBear:
I'm experimenting, but using local natural materials.  Kind of in the spirit of homemaking everything else I use.  No big emotional attachment to the project, but lots of satisfaction.  Been using tallow from the deer I shoot with different blends as the temps shift through the year.  Till now olive oil has been my softening agent, but next will be bear oil and seal oil, whichever I can get first.  Haven't tried beeswax in the mix yet, but a neighbor has hives now so that will be fair game in my quest.

northmn:
The experimenting is fun.  So much so that it is hard for some of use to settle down on one concoction or whatever.  I remember a very good shooter who showed up to matches with a different rifle practically every time.  He never really shot to his potential, but had a lot of fun.  I usually shot a rifle for maybe one season and sold it and moved on.  That's what it is all about.

DP

Mike R:
With all the posts we get here [and no offense meant to the posters :)] on patch lube recipes and new ideas, one has to wonder how our ancestors possibly got along with just tallow or spit?   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version