Author Topic: James Marker Rifle  (Read 8287 times)

Hobie

James Marker Rifle
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
Oh, where to start...

First up is an old gun brought in by friend John T_________ that had been in his family for quite a long time.

The rifle is a percussion, single trigger, long rifle with engraved patchbox, American eagle motif cheekpiece brass inlay and small brass thumbpiece. It appeared to currently be about 48-50 caliber, the straight octagonal barrel was about 41" long, 7/8" across the flats and the stock appeared to have been a straight grain maple. The gun is 56-1/2" long, overall.  The thimbles were octagon formed brass. The barrel was stamped "J MARKER" on the top flat. In doing a bit of research I found that there was a family of gunsmiths with the last name of Marker and a James Marker (1808-8 May 1883).

James Marker was born in 1808, the third child of Daniel, Sr. (1778-1 Jan 1854), and Anna Christina (Beckenbaugh) Marker (8 Apr 1778-10 Apr 1835). On 11 April 1832 he married Amelia Naeff (Naff or Neff,10 Aug 1810-17 Oct 1881). To this union were born eight children. In 1833 he purchased lot number 160 in Sharpsburg, Maryland, from his uncle, Paul Marker. He also took over the gunsmith business there when his uncle departed for Ohio. James eldest son Jacob followed him in the trade and took over his shop in 1855.

WHICH J. Marker might be a valid question but the gun that friend John has looks very, very much like a gun by James' father Daniel Sr. as shown on page 142 of "West Virginia Gunsmiths" by Lambert and Whisker. It has many attributes of a rifle by Paul Marker (mentioned as the uncle, Daniel Sr.'s brother) as shown on 127 of "Gunsmiths of Virginia" by Whisker.

Research of his "line" shows that he was still working as a gunsmith in Sharpsburg, MD on 4 September 1860 (US Census). James is also shown as working as a gunsmith on the 1850 census. While his wife died in 1881, there is conflicting information on his date of death as he is shown in the 1870 and 1880 censuses but variously reported as deceased in 1863. James' son Jacob (1832-1892), to whom one MIGHT be able to attribute the rifle, was of the right age to have produced the rifle but was likely working in his father's shop at the time the rifle was built (as shown on the 1850 census). James was buried in the Sharpsburg German Reformed Church Cemetery near his wife and his mother.

How this rifle came to the upper Shenandoah Valley would be an interesting story indeed.  Was it "captured" when Confederate forces moved through the Sharpsburg, MD area?  Was it purchased and brought south before the war? In all an interesting past indeed.

Sadly, I think, John might be induced to sell this rifle as he has no heirs to whom to leave it and thinks the rifle would best be served in moving to an owner that values it and preserves it.  What value would one place on this rifle to begin negotiations?

Photos are here.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:15:49 PM by Hobie »

Hobie

Re: James Marker Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:01 AM »
Thank you for your response.

Such books are a boon to those who can't quite take the time to do the research.  Of course, I BOUGHT it several years ago.  I do genealogical research and know how much effort has gone into such books. 

I will take better photos as you suggest.  We need to take the time to do that.  

There is a long crack in the forearm which you can't see in my poor photos.  I will also take a better photo of the trigger mechanism.

There seems to be some interest including one descendent.  John will be pleased.  He has nobody to whom he wants to leave this gun and doesn't know the history of it.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:53:25 AM by Hobie »

Raweavey

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:30:14 AM »
Hobie: This reply is way past the time of the original posting on August 25Th, 2010. I just found your posting while doing an internet search for James Marker rifles. I am a direct descendant of James and Amelia Marker. So I was quite interested in your friends rifle. From the description, I doubt that this is a James Marker rifle, more likely one by Jame's son Jacob. James to my knowledge nearly always signed his full name on top of the flats and in script. I don't know what the norm was for Jacob, however I have seen one picture of a Jacob Marker rifle signature and it was also the full name and in script. It's difficult sometimes to be sure who made what because, I know of nine Markers, all related over three generations that were gunsmiths. And making it more difficult is that there were two Daniels, two Georges, two Paul's (one went by Powell), two Jacobs and of course one James.
With regards to your friends J. Marker rifle, if he still has it and would want to sell it, I would be interested if I can afford the price he wants. I live in Hagerstown, Maryland and my Fathers family is an old Sharpsburg, Maryland family, which is of course where James and his son Jacob sold made and sold rifles for many years. I hope you find this reply. You can email me direct at Raweavey@aol.com if you are of a mind to..Best Regards, Ralph Eavey

Hobie

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:27:53 AM »
My friend has since sold the rifle.  I believe it went to another Marker descendent.  I think I still have the photos I took if you would like them. 

Raweavey

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
Hobie: Thank you for responding to my inquiry. A gentleman contacted me by email and said that he was the current owner of the J. Marker rifle that you had posted pictures of. He did not indicate to me that he was related to the Markers in any way, but was a collector and would consider trading it for another rifle and had placed a value ( which was a believable value to me) on the rifle that puts it out of my price range. That's life, at least that's mine lol. I would not part with the plain jane James Marker that I do own, because James is my Great Great Grandfather. Jacob on the other hand (James son) is not in the direct line of lineage of my family. I did have another gentleman contact me about a Daniel Marker rifle he had for sale, and I asked for pictures of the rifle and the signature, I have no idea where that discussion will end up. Again,
Daniel Sr. is direct in a direct line to my family, but his son Daniel Jr. is not. Daniel Jr. is James brother.

Again thank you,

may only good things  come your way

Ralph

JTB1083

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »
Hi Ralph,

I am also a relative of the Marker's and Eavey's. When you get a chance message me your email. I wanted to ask you some questions.

Thanks!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »
did you see this? Might be the one he is talking about.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12877.0
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:19:13 PM by Avlrc »

Raweavey

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
JTB1083
Hi Ralph,

I am also a relative of the Marker's and Eavey's. When you get a chance message me your email. I wanted to ask you some questions.

Thanks!

Sorry for the long delay in responding, as you can tell I don't check in as often as I should. You can email me at Raweavey@aol.com. Hope to hear from you Ralph

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:17:24 AM »
I once owned the Marker in the ALR museum above and believe I know where it currently resides, possibly for sale. It is always a personal pleasue to see a rifle return "home"
Hurricane
(fgarner@verizon.net)