Author Topic: Lock selection question  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Lock selection question
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »
Currently working on a Lancaster with a .54 cal 42" swamped barrel 1.055 across at the breech end.  Butt plate is roughly 4 7/8 x 1 7/8"   Originally bought a Ditchburn lock for this which is essentially same size lockplate as a small Siler.  There is no problem fitting this lock to this barrel.  But now I am having second thoughts about whether this lock will look correct with the barrel and stock. 

I also have on hand a Chambers Golden Age as I used on a previous .54 cal similar to this one which I am accustomed to looking at.  Don't know whether the smaller lock is going to look right, but as it is a copy of a Dickert and Mr. Stan Hollenbaugh says the lock is suitable, I am looking for more input.  Have any of you built such a rifle with a small Siler sized lock?  Is it reasonably PC to use the smaller lock on such a rifle? 

California Kid

Re: Lock selection question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
With a 1 7/8" wide butt it sounds like a later Lancaster.  I would use the golden age lock. The 2 locks mentioned seem more suitable for a Beck or a pistol. The longer lock would help to keep the gun looking slimmer overall. Something to think about.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:46:30 AM »
Jerry,

The casting for Stan's lock is from an original JP Beck rifle. It is right between a large and small Siler.  Great lock.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »
    I have used a much modified small siler on a J.P. Beck smooth rifle w/ a 47 1/4 bbl.   The lock is a near copy of the original's lock.  the overall effect is that of a very slim trim rifle.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:21:54 AM »
I agree with the California Kid.  I would go with the golden age lock.  With the breech being just shy of 1 1/16" I think any lock smaller then a large Siler will look too small.
DMR

northmn

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
I also suggest you look into lock style as compared to time frame of the build.  The pre 1800 rifles seemed to have larger locks than the later ones.  Always exceptions, but I would say generally.  A large Siler isn't all that shabby in performance, nor are some of the later English styles as offered by some suppliers.

DP

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
Currently working on a Lancaster with a .54 cal 42" swamped barrel 1.055 across at the breech end.  Butt plate is roughly 4 7/8 x 1 7/8"   Originally bought a Ditchburn lock for this which is essentially same size lockplate as a small Siler.  There is no problem fitting this lock to this barrel.  But now I am having second thoughts about whether this lock will look correct with the barrel and stock.  

I also have on hand a Chambers Golden Age as I used on a previous .54 cal similar to this one which I am accustomed to looking at.  Don't know whether the smaller lock is going to look right, but as it is a copy of a Dickert and Mr. Stan Hollenbaugh says the lock is suitable, I am looking for more input.  Have any of you built such a rifle with a small Siler sized lock?  Is it reasonably PC to use the smaller lock on such a rifle?  

This is a small Siler in a Don King rifle, the barrel is about 1 1/8 at the breech.
Shape it right and there will no problem.
Dan

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:21:23 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »
Unless you are making one of those massive Lancasters I have seen with a 2+ inch wrist I would think the Ditchbutn/Beck would be perfect. The early wide buttplate should not meen that the whole gun must be massive... The breech size is the key and as you can see in Dan's picture the small Siler was not a problem on a big barrel.......Slim that baby out Jerry!!   Can't wait to see what you end up with. I know it will be nice!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 03:08:36 AM »
A few years ago I built a rifle around a "D" weight barrel and used Stan's lock.  Turned out great.  It is a super fast lock and I wouldn't hesitate using it at all.  Having really slim borders around the lock plate is a must with this combination.  The rifle has a lot of Beck influence and this lock really added to the look.
Gary Tucker

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:14 AM »
I appreciate the responses.  The photo Dan sent was especially useful.  I must say I have been twisting in the wind on this question for a while but have now decided to go ahead with the Ditchburn lock.  The architecture of the wrist as I have it planned is going to work well I believe.  Thanks for the help. 

Jerry