Author Topic: Need a machinist  (Read 4515 times)

Offline whitebear

Need a machinist
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »
I have an original lock with a broken tumbler that I need repaired.  Who on here can do this or who would recommend for this.

As you can see from the picture the ear on the tumbler that the pin for the stirrup goes through is broken of on one side.  I need this repaired so that I can use the lock.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Bart

Re: Need a machinist
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
Have you tried Larry Zornes ? he is owner/operator of Mold and Gun shop in Jackson, Ohio. He is a lock maker; nice guy and does great work !! Give him a try, phone number (614-286-2743).

Good Luck

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
Since it 's an original lock, it's possible it's merely case hardenen iron and therefore non-repairable- especially on such a high rension, small joint. I could possibly see, if welding is possible, to trace it out then remove the other ear, weld on a chunk and file it out to make the 2 ears for the swivel.  It's beyond me, though. A new tumbler might be the only option.

oldiemkr

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
Whitebear,

Yuo may find a new replacement from parts from current manufacturers. If possible you could get one that is close to what you need and make some minor changes to get it to work.

I don't know where you are located but in a couple of weeks there is the NMLRA shoot coming up. There are lots of parts boxes available.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
What kind of lock is it out of? I have a coupla original tumblers and assorted parts that I might never use. So if there is some way you can send a life size photo or tracing, with dimensions of the axles,  I might have something that will work. Though using tracings or photos might be a little sketchy. Not to mention that finding an old tumbler that will drop in without some modification will be nearly impossible.

There are a lot of folks on this forum who might have an odd tumbler or two lying around gathering dust, so maybe posting a photo of the inside and outside of the lock, so's we can get an idea of what type and size of lock you have, and what size tumbler you need, might encourage someone to offer a spare part.

IMHO, the best option short of having someone make a very expensive tumbler, is going to some sort of large event with vendors who sell locks and parts. Take the whole lock with you, and a turnscrew and a container for your parts, so's  you can match parts to your lock.

And as mentioned Larry Zornes might be a good source.

God bless

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »
You could try Cabin Creek, @ CabinCreek.net    they do this type of work I think.     Gary               PS Phone 717 757 5841

Roy S.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
I can make one. Take some time tho..

Offline whitebear

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:18:36 AM »
Thanks everyone I will contac the ones you suggested and try to get some good picures up although i may be a day or two.  My compuer is on the fritz and I am having to use my sons.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot