Author Topic: Olive Oil as a rust inhibitor?  (Read 11774 times)

Offline Skychief

Olive Oil as a rust inhibitor?
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »
Anybody wiping down their rifles with extra virgin olive oil between uses?   I have a friend that has been doing so for years, with good results.

What's the difference between regular and extra virgin olive oils?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:49:29 AM by Skychief »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Olive Oil as a rust inhibitor?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:58:56 AM »
Extra-Virgin Olive oil is less than 1% acidity
Virgin Olive Oil is slighly more acidic.  Like 1 and 1/2% or something like that.

Never used it for wiping?  It's hard to beat Ballistol. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:01:30 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

BrownBear

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:27:40 AM »
I bet you don't live near the ocean.  It's a death sentence for steel around here.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
Why ???  Thers better rust protectors.

DP

caliber45

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
Something that works well for me is jojoba oil -- made from a desert plant. Jojoba oil is one of only two (to my knowledge) known liquid waxes, the other being carnauba of car wax fame. I use it on metal and wood, both; gives wood a wonderful glow. Of course, I live in the desert, where 12 percent humidity is the norm most of the year, so it might not be suitable elsewhere. You can get a small bottle (six ounces?) at health-food stores (women used to use it as a skin treatment) for around $7. Small bottle lasts forever. FWIW . . . -- paulallen, tucson az

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:00:14 AM »
The Japanese use this:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=co

So do I, on tools. Doesn't affect glue-up. Said to have been used by the Samurai. Also used as a cosmetic--said to be good for preventing stretch marks. ::) ;) ::)

Balistol on guns. Said to be good for preventing rust marks...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Mike R

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
gave it a brief try but after rust developed almost immediately, I quit...some references to "sweet oil" in period lit suggests its use to some folks. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
Vegetable oils are generally acidic to a greater or lesser extent. The acid content in "boiled linseed oil" from the lumber yard inhibits drying for example.
With all the products available for rust prevention I can't see using vegetable oil.
I think people do this because they think its HC. HC would be Sperm Whale oil I believe. But it is hard to find.
Extra Virgin Olive oil is the only kind I would knowingly put in my mouth. Its the first pressing.
As the process continues the some of the lower grade oils are extracted by solvents.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Black Hand

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
Something that works well for me is jojoba oil -- made from a desert plant.

Apparently, Jojoba oil is the closest thing you can get to sperm whale oil.  Very similar chemically.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:17 AM »
Something that works well for me is jojoba oil -- made from a desert plant. Jojoba oil is one of only two (to my knowledge) known liquid waxes, the other being carnauba of car wax fame. I use it on metal and wood, both; gives wood a wonderful glow. Of course, I live in the desert, where 12 percent humidity is the norm most of the year, so it might not be suitable elsewhere. You can get a small bottle (six ounces?) at health-food stores (women used to use it as a skin treatment) for around $7. Small bottle lasts forever. FWIW . . . -- paulallen, tucson az

I believe that sperm oil is a liquid wax as well. It is not the same as the oil rendered from blubber.

Dan

Offline Bart

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:55:45 AM »
Kroil is the best it is made by Kano laboratories, and has been proven many times over!! hands down. Brownells Inc, sells it.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
Kroil is the best it is made by Kano laboratories, and has been proven many times over!! hands down. Brownells Inc, sells it.

You might look at this test of rust preventatives.
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
Dan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:47:08 AM by Dphariss »

Dave Faletti

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 05:24:19 AM »
A mix of kerosene and Mercon/Dextron works well.  You can make  it thick or thin and it works well.  I use olive oil for my patch lube hunting and for the bore during that time but I'll stick with modern lubes and such for storage.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 03:00:41 AM »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:52:13 PM »
Tim- thankyou for that link. Most excellent test I've seen. So much for LehighValley Lube being not good enough - but then, in Taylor's test, it did rust underneath the patch - not in the test of the barrel after a 5 day test.  I noted that Hoppe's #9 Plus wasn't tested in either link, but which gave superior results to Taylor's Lehigh test - no rust anywhere.  His test was as close to a normal hunting & leaving the gun loaded test as powder was used beneath a patched ball.  In neither test did the lube, Lehigh nor Hoppe's wet the powder - dry right to the ball.