Author Topic: Bongarde!  (Read 4689 times)

keweenaw

Bongarde!
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
The same Dutch dealer who has the Hartwell also has this wonderful 18th century Bongarde.  While most of Bongarde's work is highly chiseled, etc. and this must have been one of his plain pieces, its condition is spectacular, the dealer assures me that it's all original with not repairs.  I would just love to take it out bird hunting.  The barrel is Spanish by Alonso Martinez.  Compared to anything American of this vintage, the price is a steal but well beyond my budget.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Bongarde!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
Mid-century?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »
Probably like 1730.  I forget when he died, I'm thinkin' 1740-something...don't remember.

Bongarde was one of the most outstanding gunsmiths of all time.  His chiseled ironwork is absolutely amazing.

Somebody had a Bongarde half stock gun (most of them are) in an ad in Man At Arms some time ago.  Wanted like $1500 for it.  If I had the cash, I'd a bought it.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:32:11 PM »
What is that indentation/hole under the frizzen for? I would like to see the working side of that plate.

Tim C.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
Are you talking about the scooped out place on the bottom of the pan cover?  That's just to allow more clearance for your prime.  S.O.P.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »
If you're interested in photos of some other Bongarde work, he's a link to photos of a pair of over and under fowlers that Hermann Historica sold a few years ago.  They are really sweet.

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm49.pl?f=NR&c=41849&t=temartic_S_GB&db=kat49_S.txt

Tom