Author Topic: W. Schreckengost rifle  (Read 7999 times)

Offline Old Stoney

W. Schreckengost rifle
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:39:55 PM »
I have came across a W. Schreckengost rifle that the owner has for sale but I can only find one other rifle of his and it is a swivel barrel rifle. This one is a .32 and is in excellent condition and has the same patchbox as the swivel gun. Has anyone here seen any of his rifles.
D Crisp

Scott Brush

Re: W. Schreckengost rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
Darrin,

Does the patchbox open toward the butt?  With the hinge pin on the underside?

Scott

famouseagle

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »
Jim Whisker's book, "Arms Makers of Pennsylvania" shows a nice William Schreckengost over/under rifle.  It has a "mule ear" lock with two separate hammers.  Nice looking gun.

There was a whole family of Schreckengost gunsmiths who settled around Putneyville (Armstrong County) PA.

The Jefferson County (nearby) Historical Society has hosted a gun and artifact show for the past 3 years.  There is a direct descendant of the Schreckengosts who has exhibited each year.  He shows an original rifling machine and several original guns.  He also has quite a lot of knowledge of the family.  I believe his name is Dale Schreckengost and he lives near Putneyville.

Putneyville, by the way, is one of those Western PA towns that has "Welcome" and "You are Leaving" printed on the same sign :)

Offline Old Stoney

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »
Yes it does open towards the butt of the rifle. The patchbox is engraved on this rifle and is very well done. It also has an engraved german silver inlay on the cheekpiece.

Thanks for the information, I had never heard of this builder and was needing to know a little more about him and his rifles. Thanks again.
D Crisp

Offline Old Stoney

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:42:39 AM »
Here are some pictures of the rifle.

/CIMG1269.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:13:10 PM by Dennis Glazener »
D Crisp

Scott Brush

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:34:59 PM »
Darren,

Thanks for the pictures, that's the guy.  Mr. Schreckengost's descendant displayed 6 or 8 of his rifles at the Jefferson County Antique Gun Show in Brookville this year; co-sponsored by the Jefferson County Longrifles by the way.  ;)  They were all very slim and graceful and attractively executed I thought. 

Dale(?) also had a couple of his own on display which he made for his son and grandson, I'm sure they are proud owners.

Scott