Author Topic: Newbie here - Can you help indentify this rifle?  (Read 3292 times)

paradox998

Newbie here - Can you help indentify this rifle?
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:47:25 AM »
Hello Everyone:

I am trying to help a friend identify and value an antique blackpowder rifle.  It came from rural Michigan and the powder horn was still filled with powder.   Please excuse me if I use the wrong terms here, my experience is mostly with WWI Lugers.  Anyway, the rifle has two marks on it.  The first is on the forearm stock and is stamped E. Morsi Jr.    The second are the words J.P. DEWITT on the trigger.  I think it could be called an undertrigger, but you are the experts.  Here are a few pictures:

Thanks for the help!

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Newbie here - Can you help indentify this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:09:35 AM »
Its an "underhammer" rifle. There isn't much in print on them. The only comprehensive study was done by Herschel Logan back in the late 1950s. There is a new book coming out shortly on the Ruggles-patent underhammers, the first American Underhammers. At first glance, I thought this might be one of those but, while it is similar, I don't think it is.

Most likely Dewitt is the maker and Morsi an owner. Most of these were made in New England but with a nationwide market in mind so finding one in rural Michigan is completely appropriate. Gardner has several Dewitt's, none listed with the initials "J.P." but one was named James.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »
You state that this gun is marked "J P DEWITT", however, from the picture it looks a bit like "W.P. DEWITT".  If it is "W.P", there was a William P. DeWitt/Elmira, N.Y.  The stock architecture has a New York look to it.
SC

paradox998

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:09:11 AM »
Thank you for pointing this out.  I was wrong, it is W.P. DEWITT   

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.