Author Topic: Ballistol  (Read 8313 times)

OR562

Ballistol
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:18 AM »
I,m on my second gallon of the stuff. Like it!! My question: At least one of the members  ( I don't remember who) doesn't like to use it or leave it on his locks.  Why?? ----Thanks, Bill in Oregon

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Ballistol
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:26:51 AM »
I only use the stuff for making 8:1 dry patch lube (per Dutch).  When my supply runs out I will find something else to use.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
I love the stuff. Have used it on all my guns & in the shop for 8-9 years i guess. Buy it by the case. Use the non-aerosol in the bores & the aerosol on the locks. GREAT stuff, IMHO.

Keith Lisle

TNrifleman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:33:50 AM »
I like Ballistol and use it.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:39:29 AM »
I mix with water for a patch lube. Have never found anything better, and I have tried a lot of stuff over the years.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:52:56 AM »
At least one of the members doesn't like to use it.  Why??

Because it smells like an unwashed jock strap after 2-a-day football practice.  People in the immediate vicinity move away from you, and your friends start giving you free hygiene tips.

I only use the stuff for making 8:1 dry patch lube (per Dutch).

By his own admission, Dutch has not fired a rifle since 1992 and has never used the stuff personally.  He only started recommending it when "real" water soluble oil was replaced with the synthetic stuff containing glycols.  Still, I recommend that all new shooters buy a copy of his system if only to provide a few extra pennies to supplement his meager income.  He's in his 80's, legally blind, and lives alone.  Correspondence is one of the few joys in his life.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »
It is the only oil I use.  It works great as a cleaner.  I mix 1 part ballistol to 3 parts water.  When shooting, I run one wet patch followed by one dry one.  In the 12 or so years I have been using it, I have never had any issues with rust.  That combo cuts black power residue and has enouth oil to prevent rust.
 I never have used it as a patch lube.
                                              Brian                                                               
B. Lakatos

Offline Maven

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
"People in the immediate vicinity move away from you...."

Is this an entirely bad thing? ;)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Not for me. ;) Saves shouting "flinter on your left" at the range. I like elbow room.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Birddog6

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »
At least one of the members doesn't like to use it.  Why??

Because it smells like an unwashed jock strap after 2-a-day football practice.  People in the immediate vicinity move away from you, and your friends start giving you free hygiene tips.
[/quote]

Hey............ that stuff will get rid of a wife of girlfriend in 2 seconds flat  !!   :o :o ;D

You hear her coming towards the door of the gun room...........   >:(
Promptly grab your handy can of aerosol Ballistol &   spray it towards the door...
I guarantee when she gets a good whiff of that stuff  :o  she is going to be backing off & heading the other way  !!   ;D ;D

The stuff is Awesome !!     ;)

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:42:33 PM by Birddog6 »

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
What ratio of water/oil do you use for patch lube?      Gary

Birddog6

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
What I tried I use 6 parts water to 1 part Ballistol.  Worked OK.  Only thing I don't like about it, as with any of the oils you mix with water, they separate if they sit long. So if you mix some of it, just do a little at a time & keep it shoot up.  After they separate they don't want to mix back as well as it originally did, thus up have dif lubrication properties from when you initially started. Same way with making Moose Milk with machine lube oil, you need to keep it shoot up too as it will do the same thing, or it did when I made some & tested it.  Also it will freeze if you are using it in inclimate weather for hunting, and tries to separates then as well.

Keith Lisle

catman

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:12:47 AM »
What I tried I use 6 parts water to 1 part Ballistol.  Worked OK.  Only thing I don't like about it, as with any of the oils you mix with water, they separate if they sit long. So if you mix some of it, just do a little at a time & keep it shoot up.  After they separate they don't want to mix back as well as it originally did, thus up have dif lubrication properties from when you initially started. Same way with making Moose Milk with machine lube oil, you need to keep it shoot up too as it will do the same thing, or it did when I made some & tested it.  Also it will freeze if you are using it in inclimate weather for hunting, and tries to separates then as well.

Keith Lisle

Keith, I would rather use your lube you peddle...

Birddog6

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:25:52 AM »
Thank you........  That is why I made it, because it doesn't separate or contaminate the powder & is extremely consistent. However, I am not much of a peddler....  :-\  ha ha !!    tho I have had good responses from it.    
People seem to always want a Miracle Lube and I don't think there is such a thing.  They also want a lube where it will not change their POI, and that is not always going to happen. You change a major part of the Combo (charge, ball, patch, lube) and it very easily can change the POI & the grouping. Thus sometime when you change lubes you have to work loads again to acquire the good groups you had.  And sometimes you need some sight adjustment as well.  Then sometimes it is fine as it was.....  it depends on allot of factors.  IMHO

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:26:09 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 04:44:59 AM »
I use it and love it. For a lube and for cleaning and rustinhibitor....especially since I can no longer get Lehigh Valley Lube.

This is some pretty compelling research:

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

JohnnyM

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »
I like it for firearms whether my flintlock rifle gunne or my ol' reliable Parker sxs. Just used some to clean up a damascus blade knife I picked up cheap 'cuz it was rusted.  Along with a scotch brite pad, some elbow grease and some flitz, it looks brandy new.