Author Topic: J. Stapleton Rifle  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
J. Stapleton Rifle
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
Hi all. Thought you would like to see a rifle I recently had in my shop. J. Stapleton was a maker from Beavertown, Huntingdon Co., Pa. There are pictures of him, his shop, and some of his rifles in the book The Kentucky Rifle and Me by Edith G. Cooper.  This gun has a 37in. barrel, which I believe was cut down, in 38 cal. with straight rifling- rifled but no twist. With it are the original horn, bullet mold, and box of caps in an old tobacco can.  Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. Nate.

Looks like someone replaced the mainspring along the way.

Note how the PB lid cams on a spring at the bottom of the box much like some cheap reproductions.

scooter

Re: J. Stapleton Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:48:23 AM »
You show a medium grade Stapleton, certainly not anywhere near his best. I showed quite a few Stapleton guns in my book on 4 PA Counties, including Huntingdon. Here is some biographical info. One of ALR membesr is directly related to Stapleton and owns probably a dozen of his guns.

James Stapleton (1833-1900). gunsmith. James worked all his adult life in Todd Twp., Huntingdon County. A number of his rifles are known. 1870, James, 35, gunsmith; Sarah, his wife, 31; William, 6; Minerva, 5; John, 3. Apprentice gunsmith living in household, William S. Chilicote, 20. 1880, James, gunsmith, 46; wife Sarah, 41; William B., gunsmith's apprentice, 16; Minerva, 16; Solomon, 11; John, 13; James M., 7; Hariett, 3; Albert, 1. 1900, James, farmer, born in September 1833; Sarah, born December 1838; married 37 years. James Stapleton was a noted violin player, performing at square dances in the area.

James M. Stapleton (1874- ). 1900-10, Todd Twp., Huntingdon County. By the time James M. was born modern repeating cartridge guns had all but rendered obsolete the earlier cottage industry made long rifles. Thus, he earned his living primarily as a farmer and day laborer, but made and repaired guns as work was available. U.S. Census of 1900, living in his father's household. U.S. Census of 1910, living with his widowed mother, Hariet, 27; and Albert, 24.

Joseph Stapleton. gunsmith. 1850-70, Orbisonia, Huntingdon County.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »
Dandy rifle, beautiful condition.  Scooter, thanks for sharing all that hard-earned information!
Andover, Vermont

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:57:07 PM »
Typical Huntingdon County with heavy barrel, small caliber.  Nice piece!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:57:34 PM by bdixon66 »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
Hopefully that Prince Albert can isn't as old as that rifle, since I used to smoke Prince Albert tobacco.... ::)

Ol man Stapleton sure liked his overly long cheek pieces!