Author Topic: screws  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
screws
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
I fear this is a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway.  For those of you who are building locks from castings obrtained from TRS, where do you get your screws?  Do you make your own with a lathe?

Thanks for your replies.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Eric Laird

Re: screws
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:07:24 AM »
One option is you can order a set of appropriate screws from TRS when you order the castings.
Eric
Eric Laird

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
Hi John,
I usually make my own from blanks or steel rods.  I do that to be sure the screws are the appropriate shape for the lock.  Screw sets sold by TRS are pretty generic and often not really quite right.  That is particularly true for their 17th locks and for the cock jaw screws.  I file mine on a wood lathe fitted with a four-jaw chuck or a drill chuck (depending on the size of the screw) and cut threads with dies. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:45:22 AM »
Though this kit is by no means an all encompassing thing, it has saved me many times when having to make a replacement screw on the quick.  It is more useful for lock screws than other screws, but do check the head diameters to ensure they will suit your needs. 

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=376/Product/BLANK_SCREW_KIT

When you can use one of these, they are very nice as you can stop the thread at a point the screw will tighten and not bind up lock parts.

Gus

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
OK Gus now that call for some humiliating self-disclosure on my part?    How are screws/bolts numbered??  I understand length and diameter/thread count...( I think??)  but I can't figure out how to rder screws by size numbers such as your kit from Brownell's offeres.....How do I know which size will be right for a lock bolt for example????
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »
You really need a lathe to do a good job making screws. Yes, you can do it with files and a drill press, but it's very difficult and time consuming.

I would start collecting screw sets from different manufactures, like Davis and Chambers, etc. A screw can be modified more easily on a drill press  than made from scratch.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
How do I know which size will be right for a lock bolt for example????

If you want to make a replacement screw, a whole lot depends on whether it is an original piece or a reproduction piece AND if you are trying to fit it with an original or made- to-original-spec screw OR you are willing to re-tap the hole for a modern screw size.  

To keep things simple, here's a good chart for modern screw sizes:

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/Thread_drill_taps.html

Something to keep in mind is the shank of the screw blank may be a few thousandths of an inch less than the size listed and it would still be considered this size.  

Here's a good link for the older British Whitworth system screw threads:

http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.htm

Oh, and don't forget that French and some other early guns were made on the metric pattern so you have to use those sizes, but you don't run into that with American Kits much, if at all.

Gus
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:12:06 AM by Artificer »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:01:14 AM »
I order replacement lock screws from Track of the Wolf.  As Acer said, Chambers, R.E. Davis, L&R, who ever has the size I need.  I can then cut ro length, thread a little more or turn the head down.
DMR

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:26:29 AM »
I have purchased a small assortment of lock bolts in 8 and 10/32 and just cut them to fit.  What hasbeen more troublesome has been trying to determine the size of wood screws for patchboxes etc........ Thanks for the links Gus
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 05:52:47 AM »
Tim,
Go to www.use-enco.com
Look for #327-9588  Machinery's Handbook--Pocket Companion

It will tell you everything you need to know about screws, threads, drill bits, and everything else you might ever need to know for gunbuilding.  I use mine all the time.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Artificer

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
I have purchased a small assortment of lock bolts in 8 and 10/32 and just cut them to fit.  What hasbeen more troublesome has been trying to determine the size of wood screws for patchboxes etc........ Thanks for the links Gus

OK, here's a table for wood screws as well.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/wood_screw_chart.html

Glad to be able to give something back for all I've learned here.

I got a very old and very used Machinery Handbook - Pocket Companion in the early 70's from a good friend.  I still use that along with the full size book from time to time.

Gus

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 10:45:15 PM »
Now, thats what I am talking about!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA