Author Topic: Missing Pin Replacement  (Read 5764 times)

2ndCharter

Missing Pin Replacement
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:11:42 AM »
The pin fell out of my ramrod tip and of course, it was outside. What material and size do you builders typically use for fastening them on? I am probably just going to use a brass brad and trim it down and round over the ends with a gentle tap or two. My OCD is getting the better of me so I have to ask how y'all experts do it versus my "field repair" method.

northmn

Re: Missing Pin Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:51:57 AM »
For any pin I prefer to use something of common dimension.  I can buy 1/16 brass or steel stock out of the local ACE Hardware for instance, although the steel is music wire.  A #4 nail is about 5/64 but only about, however for pinning ramrod tips you can fill in with glues.  The best way to avoid a pin falling out is to counter sink the sides of the fitting where the pin hole goes in and comes out and then lay the thing on a hard surface and peen it.  I have done this for both ramrods and arrow tips so that the arrow tips do not come off in 3-D targets.  Glues do not work as well.  Brass peens easier so I prefer brass.

DP

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:19:08 AM »
    Metal clothes hanger is what most use to cut pins. It's soft and easy to peen. GOOD LUCK AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:51:13 AM »
If you need something other than standard, I heartily recommend either the individual piece or I bought the kit and it has saved me plenty of times.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=585/Product/WATER_HARDENING_DRILL_ROD

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »
Piano wire from the hobby store. Its a soft spring temper. I then epoxy it in, JB Quick. It will pean slightly but peaning often dents the rod tip. I have used nails as well but I have piano wire in several sizes for pins etc so I use that.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

g.pennell

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »
Small diameter brass brazing rods work well, as does a piece of 10 gauge copper wire.  I just countersink the holes a little and peen.  A dab of epoxy or super-glue during assenbly doesn't hurt anything, either.

Greg

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
I use 1/16" unfluxed steel welding rod.  I buy it by the pound in different diameters from my local weld shop.  I countersink both sides of the tip and peen the ends of the wire.  Never lost one yet.
DMR 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:44:09 AM »
I use 4 penny finishing nails peened into a countersink. Pragmatically, I would rather not have steel going down my barrel, but I like having the dissimilar metals because you can see it.

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:36:31 AM »
I do like Dave Rase.  !/16  steel for RR pipes, trigger guards, and Steel ram rod tips; 1/16 brass for brass ram rod tips; 3/32 steel for barrel pins, triggers when pin is in the wood.  The steel peens easily as does the brass;  If a barrel or ramrod pipe pin is loose, just put a bend in the middle of the pin.  A lot of music wire is too hard to peen nicely or bend.

Dave Dolliver

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »
Likewise   Gas welding rod. I have it in the shop in several sizes anyway so it is convenient.
Steve
Steve Skillman