Author Topic: Needle files  (Read 5598 times)

northmn

Needle files
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:48:54 AM »
One of the things I have been having trouble finding is a knife needle file.  I had one and it worked for refiling screw slots, sight work and other sorts of things. Do not need any other files just one of those.  Thought some of you might know a source to save me some time looking. 

DP

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Needle files
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:10:05 AM »
Check wit Bill D.  He had some in those he was selling, I got two , but don't know if he had more.  Got to admit they're great for a lot of jobs.  He might have a source.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

billd

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:29:57 AM »
The needle files are just about gone.  I use a hacksaw blade for screw slots. Take a new 32t blade on the belt sander and sand all the set off the teeth. Works great.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:31:20 AM by billd »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »
Brownells sell special files that are just for slotting or refurbishing screw heads.  They are much finer toothed than a hack saw blade, provide excellent control and a good finish.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

northmn

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I should have thought of Brownell's.  I am going to try the Hacksaw blade idea for a current project, however for the smaller screws it may be a little rough.

DP

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
Try a jewler's saw. They make pretty thin cuts.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 04:01:18 PM »
Somewhere I have a jewlers saw frame and have the blades.  I just tried the hacksaw blade and it worked.  I sanded it to width on my belt sander and got a very nice slim even cut for a screw head.  I am currently adapting #4 wood screws to inlays for the underpinning wedge.  To do so requires that I file down the existing screw slots for a smaller screw head.  You only need a small section of a worn out blade that usually has good ends.

DP

max

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »
I have one of the so-called screw slot files from Brownell's and while they do cut a fine slot, the slot has a round bottom rather than a square one that you get with a modified hacksaw blade. As a result, I prefer the latter method.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 02:44:54 AM »
Try grobetusa.com They have an extensive selection of needle files. I am a tool & die maker for a jewelry company. Grobet files are the best, we use nothing else.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
Just a tip for the future. There is a place called Boggs Tool and File Sharpening. I've had dozens done there, and they come back sharper than new, at a good price. They are on the net.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Marty

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:47:31 AM »
I second the Grobet files, second to none!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:30:58 AM »
I have a 12 pc. set of Tell=Swiss needle files. It has the knife edge file in it. I have found this set of files to be of the best quality. They are now probably 20 years old. I think they run about 50.00 per set.