Author Topic: 36 cal balls  (Read 3179 times)

J.D.

36 cal balls
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
I just received an order for 100 each of .350 and .360 balls from Eddie May, and 100 .358 balls from Track nearly a week ago, but the 36 cal jags on that order came as 32 jags. Sent the jags back and reorderd 36 jags,but haven't' received the correct jags, as yet, so I haven't shot the newly bored 36 barrel.

The .358 balls from track mic .361-.364. So much for Tracks balls.

The .360 balls from Eddie May mic from .358-360, so not bad.
The .350 balls mic from .347-350, with about a dozen balls miced. Most of the 350 balls have some surface flaws, but since my only immediate concern is finding the right patch/ball combination, they should shoot just fine.

I'm itching to shoot this new barrel, but don't have all of the necessities to get 'er done. The rear sight fell off, shortly after it was reinstalled on the  barrel, and I didn't have time to fix it, at that time, so I'm thinking of making new sights, as recommended by Daryl.

Dang, time just drags by when your waiting for parts, not to mention that I'm starting a new job next week, so my time will be somewhat limited, compared to the last few years.

Just kinda thinkin'...typin'out loud, so to speak....type.

God bless

Daryl

Re: 36 cal balls
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
I used a .32 jag for cleaning my .357 revolver (BP loads in .38 brass) and it worked perfectly with a thick patch.  Taylor used smaller jags than nromal so he can use 2 thicknesses of flanel material in every barrel.  This system works well and is to be recommended - the thick patches clean well - much better then thin and about necessary for deeper rifling of some barrels with rounded grooves.

Larger might work, but depends on the crown more than smaller balls.  I used to shoot .375's in a fast twist .36 Sharon barrel as an experiment - worked OK.  They drew down into little round ended slugs and were quite accurate.  I normally used .350's, but do prefer a larger ball for accuracy's sake.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:50:34 AM »
Don't know the sight arrangement but I have used shim material to keep sight in place.  You place a long strip in the dovetail and hole it while you pound in the rear sight.  Then cut off and file even.  Not really noticible. 

DP

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:13:33 AM »
I did think about using a 32 jag for cleaning. I still have one or two from before the rebore, so I'll give it a try.

I think I will just dimple the bottom of the sight base so I can use it to get an idea of how high the sights will be, once this gun is zeroed. Once that is done, I will make a small bead front sight and a shallow Vee rear. Or maybe a double leaf rear sight, for smacking those squirrels at longer ranges, with light loads.

I checked the rate of twist, BTW. I got right at 1: 43, which is right about what the Greenhill formula suggests.

God bless

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 04:40:44 AM »
There are two ways of making a loose dovetail-base sight tight - making it thicker (hard to do) or making it longer (easy to do).  When I encounter a riflegun with a loose dovetail sight I just put the sight flat on the anvil and smite the little devil with a hammer.  You only have to increase length by a few thoundths of an inch to tighten it up.

As for a load for a 36 caliber rifle, I am using 000 buckshot and an .020 patch over 35 grains of FFFg black powder.  1 hole groups at 25 yards and 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:10:30 AM »
You can tin the bottom of the sight or the bottom of the dovetail and then put sight in, wont show and will tighten it up quite abit. Softsolder works just fine.   Gary