Author Topic: Lyman GPR set trigger assembly doesn't adjust  (Read 3659 times)

Naphtali

Lyman GPR set trigger assembly doesn't adjust
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »
I have an unfired Lyman GPR percussion cap lock .54-caliber round ball rifle. I have "field stripped" it to do routine chores, such as remove packing grease and lubricate lock and trigger assembly, seal the stock and semipermanetly affix tang and break-off lug for patent breech, etc. Before I did this procedure I tested the set trigger assembly and found its let-off set or unset to be heavy. I reassembled the rifle and tested set trigger assembly again. No difference. I adjusted the assembly modestly. No difference. I adjusted it grossly. No difference. I removed the trigger plate to see what was happening when I adjusted the assembly. Lyman GPR set trigger assembly doesn't adjust anything; screws move, and that's it.

I have owned this rifle for several years, just sitting in my safe. Since I have a friend who will visit from out of state this season who prefers to use this rifle, I'm trying to get it ready for him. I am nearly certain that Lyman will not address the problem, and I would be uncomfortable pressing them on a rifle that was sold at retail years ago.

Anyone who has suggestions for remedying this situation, please let me know. My first thought was to replace the trigger assembly with another. But I have no idea regarding make, model, cost, quality - Bupkes. My second thought was to query people who have experience at solving problems like this - therefore, this thread.

Dave Dolliver

Re: Lyman GPR set trigger assembly doesn't adjust
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
I have found on several Lyman GPR that the trigger adjusting screw is too short to adjust the set trigger properly.  Queried a Lyman rep at a SHOT Show and he said the lawyers made them do it! Try going to the nearest Hardware store with the Lyman trigger adjust screw and buyin a metric screw of the same thread but 1/16, or so, longer.  It worked for my problems.  Beyond that the notches on the tumbler may be the problem.

Dave Dolliver

Naphtali

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
I have found on several Lyman GPR that the trigger adjusting screw is too short to adjust the set trigger properly.  Queried a Lyman rep at a SHOT Show and he said the lawyers made them do it! Try going to the nearest Hardware store with the Lyman trigger adjust screw and buyin a metric screw of the same thread but 1/16, or so, longer.  It worked for my problems.  Beyond that the notches on the tumbler may be the problem.

Dave Dolliver
AHA!

Are you the Dave Dolliver I knew who lived in, I believe, Whatcom County?

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
Nope.  Ilived in Bellevue for 26 years then moved to Shelton about 15 years ago.

Dave Dolliver

northmn

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
I fixed a Dixie Rifle the same way Dave mentioned.  Too short of a screw.

DP