General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Opinions please...

(1/7) > >>

Harnic:
Just looking for some input from my knowledgeable & VERY opinionated peers.   ;)  I have a rear sight on my fullstock flint Hawken that helps my fading eyesight.  It's still no where near what it was before I turned 45, but it at least give me the illusion that I might be able to compete with "normal" eyes.  It's my interpretation of a closed buckhorn sight which Don Stith & a couple other experts say did exist.  Here's a pic of mine:

I don't shoot competitively often & none of the shoots I have participated in have barred me from using it (they've all seen me shoot!) but this year at Heffley I was showing my rifle to my neighbour in the campground & he said "Oh, that's an illegal sight!  You can't use that here!".  I don't really care what a single individual believes, but what does this collective think?  I don't feel it gives me an advantage over anyone, it's not a receiver sight which would be a big help, & it's a primitive fixed sight.  What do you guys think?  Don't take the fact that I am a terrible shot into account, just look at the sight & the fact that closed buckhorns were used on Hawken rifles.  Should any shoot bar a shooter for such a sight?

Leatherbelly:
  Harry,
    I don't think there should be any problems with that sight in competition,but I think they should ban that toadstool hat of yours!

William Worth:
I be thinken', that if a match didn't like your sights, if they would let you shoot but just not be eligible for prizes.

I don't much give a hoot about prizes anywho.

Harnic:
You're just jealous of my "Jed Clampet" hat Roy, admit it! ;)

That's how I feel too William, thanks!  I don't care about prizes, I enjoy the folks & the events.

jerrywh:
Just take a jewelers saw and make a .010 slit in the top. Shazammm open sight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version