Author Topic: Hershel House rifle finish?  (Read 5389 times)

Online bob in the woods

Hershel House rifle finish?
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
Does anyone know what H.House uses for a finish on his rifles?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Hershel House rifle finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
Metal or wood? Metal is usually boiled in bleach. Wood is linseed oil.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bart

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
You should call Hershel and ask him. He will probably discuss it with you over the phone. I have asked him for advice in the past and he was very generous.

Bart

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
FWIW?
the one he built, in the Video by APV.. I'm pretty sure he just dobs on BLO with a wad of 4/0 steel wool.  rubs it in while working back the AF stain at the same time.
even comments you can overwork it and take away some of the 3d affect by being too aggressive.  in the end, you see him rubbing it and working it in with his hands.

yep, I'm a video Nerd, when it comes to gun building! :D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »
What Mike, and Metalshaper said, and yes hershel wil be glad to help you over the phone.  He doesn't do email oranswers much mail.As with his finishes, he keeps it simple.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
For all the bad rap that linseed oil gets, I thought that it was what he used, and I absolutely love the look of his wood on his guns. He's been around for so long, I figure that if he had trouble with it, he would have switched long ago. I've pretty much switched over to Tried and True because I love the depth I get .

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:08:01 AM »
For all the bad rap that linseed oil gets, I thought that it was what he used, and I absolutely love the look of his wood on his guns. He's been around for so long, I figure that if he had trouble with it, he would have switched long ago. I've pretty much switched over to Tried and True because I love the depth I get .

The bad press linseed oil has gained in the 20th century as stock finish is largely from ignorance.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine