Author Topic: Barrel Keys  (Read 3492 times)

Jim Cook

Barrel Keys
« on: September 11, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
I’m making a Track of the Wolf English Fowling Gun. The label on the barrel key says “…..no slot for retaining pin, wax cast brass…”. My questions are: should there be a retaining pin? Do I need to machine a slot into it?

Offline Dave B

Re: Barrel Keys
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
Jim, you are the builder, if you want retaining pins put slots in them and pin away. I have a french fowling piece from the Rev war period, it had slotted barrel keys. I found that you don't have a lot of room to pin the keys when you are making a folwer vs a Hawken that has more mass in the forearm so you just need to be careful when pinning.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Hi Jim,
I don't think it matters for English guns from the 18th century. Certainly, many guns from that period were fitted with pinned keys.  For example, my Ferguson rifle (model 1776) is fitted with slotted keys. However, I have seen several English fowlers and pistols without pinned keys. Later English guns usually seem to have them, at least on the better quality ones.  Pinning is simple to do even on thin fowler forestocks and the pins can be very small.   

dave     
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »
I want to use pin key on my next pistol project. Do you pin the keys through the barrel channel? I've never seen how pinning was done.

Best regards

Rolfkt

northmn

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
They are a good idea.  Prevent loss and maintain the right key in the right slot and always permit putting the key in the correct side.  Make sure when you install a pin that you can replace it.  nails are hard to remove.

DP

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:31:48 AM »
I want to use pin key on my next pistol project. Do you pin the keys through the barrel channel? I've never seen how pinning was done.

Best regards

Rolfkt
There are a couple of ways to pin a key.  The method I have used involved drilling a 1/16" hole through the oblique flat in the barrel channel.  The hole/pin needs to be located far enough out so when you pull the key to the out position the tip of the key clears the draw loop.
The other way I have heard of keys being captured is to place the pin in a small groove behind the eschuchion which captivates the pin which captivates the key.
I would not build a gun without capturing the keys.
Good luck.
Dave
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:32:57 AM by David Rase »