Author Topic: 12 ga. Skeet and Trap Loads?  (Read 5013 times)

Jefferson58

12 ga. Skeet and Trap Loads?
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:27:50 PM »
Hi Folks:

I am in the process of buying a Pedersoli 12 ga. for skeet and trap shooting. I have been looking at some of the older topics here regarding shotguns and/or loadings. Lots of good information, as always, but mostly oriented to hunting.

Do any of you have some suggestions for a good skeet / trap load in this ga. / gun? What shot size are most folks using here...7.5, 8, 9? Since I have not purchased any loading supplies for the shotgun yet, I am open to input.

Thanks for your help on this.

Jeff

northmn

Re: 12 ga. Skeet and Trap Loads?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
I ahve shot a bit of trap with a double like you mentioned but not skeet.  Shot size is a matter of personal opinion but I liked 7.5 as a BP gun does not have the velocity of a modern gun and I liked more positive breaking.  I found a clay pigeon once that I wanted to make into a "hard luck award" for a gag that was hit 4 or 5 times and did not break.  You need a visible chunk broken off to score.  7.5 is used in trap for longer range handicap.  8's may work for skeet.  You have to pattern for loads.  VM Starr's system was good, where he used only two card wads for over powder wads.  A thin fiber wad soaked in lube can also help if no more than 1/4 inch as it makes reloading easier.  Again, every shotgun is its own animal and someones elses load may not work.  Best patterns are often gained with a moderate powder charge.  They used to preach the same measure for powder and shot but some find a little less powder better. (I think the same measure idea came from use of 1f) I would keep my loads no heavier than 1 1/8 oz and would consider 1 oz.  I used 1oz for sporting clays and really could tell no difference in a modern shotgun.  This keeps recoil down and eliminates fatigue.  Very little difference in pattern density if you get a good pattern.  Again, you might try 1f as it was popular for shotguns at one time and may give a "softer launch".  Use 1 /18 or less and pattern, there is no magic formula that works in all shotguns.

DP

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
I would be interested in the answer also Jeff. I shoot a lot of modern trap (ATA member for many years) but I would sure like to "give it a go" with a muzzle loader. Unfortunately most trap ranges here don't allow muzzle loaders on the trap range  :'(. When you work out your load details we can compare info.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

northmn

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:02:52 PM »
Darn little difference in most cases between a hunting load and atarget load in a BP shotgun.  Also as in modern shotguns, use a good grade "magnum" shot for better patterns.  It ahs higher antimony and deforms less.    BP trap is as much technique as a special load.  you need to be quicker on target.

DP

AJ

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
Jeff,
I've shot hundreds of rounds of skeet with a Beretta Model 1000 O/U and I use 1 oz. of either #8½ or #9's which ever is available during the summer months.  I will use #8 shot during the winter.    When loading from the bench, the wadding is Alcan ½ over-powder card, ½ Alcan cushion wad, and over-shot card.  Powder charge is 1 oz equivilant of Goex 3F.  I do tailor my wadding at Station 1 (low house), Station 7 (both Hi and Low House) and Station 8.  I dump the cushion wad.
At Station 8, I have even made spreader loads by loading ½ the shot, add and over-shot card, add the rest of the shot and top off with another over-shot card.  It real "smokes the target"

When I load from the pouch, I use 3 over-shot cards instead of an actual thicker over-powder wad.  Same cushion wad and over-shot combinations, (less to carry and less confusing to load).

Jefferson58

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the info. guys. I will have to work on the patterning with some different combinations, and see what works in this gun.

AJ, I find it interesting that you use 3F powder. Everything I read about shotguns says never to use that! Can't argue with the results, I suppose. I always shoot it in my rifles and pistols, and I see other folks using it a lot in single barrel fowlers, so I never understood what the difference would be.

Has anyone had any experience with the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads that they market as a replacement for an over powder card and cushion? They don't look as thick as a regular cushion, and would seem to be a good alternative? Again, I am open to all thoughts.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:43:10 PM »
Going out on a limb with this but really don't care if it breaks.  The difference between smokeless and BP shotguns is one of choke (maybe) and pressure (not much difference).

With that said and with little practical experience in BP shotgunning I'd venture that for SKEET you should stick to #8 or 9 shot as the ranges are shorter than for trap.  If you're using choke tubes, fine, but if not and you have a cylinder bore, you'll have better patterns with low velocity and shorter shot columns.  I'd suggest that a 7/8ths to 1 oz shot load and ~1100 fps will be very effective for skeet.  Trap and Sporting Clays are different games and have different requirements, notably in regards to shot size and range requirements, nothing to throw at you in that regard save for the same advice.  Low velocity loads avoid the effects of sonic shock waves in dispersing shot patterns, and short shot columns have always been know to tighten patterns...same effect as back boring modern guns.  Low velocity implies low pressure and that's also a friend of good patterns.  By and large, the old BP guns were loaded light by today's standards and fared well afield.

FWIW, I haven't shot clays much of late but a few years back I was doing A to occasional AA class (skeet) work with 12 bore loads as described above...7/8th OZ and about 1150 fps. I used the same loads for Clays and paid a small penalty, hovering in B class a long while.  I really hate the teal stands what start at 40 yards....