Author Topic: Replacement CVA/Jukar buttplate?  (Read 3755 times)

longhunter1757

Replacement CVA/Jukar buttplate?
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »
Hello all!
   I friend picked up what I believe is a Jukar flintlock rifle as a first gun for her son to learn on. It's in pretty decent shape all things considered and the lock isn't half as bad as thought it would be. Anyway she asked me to clean it up and make it look a little more presentable. The worst area is the butt plate and toeplate. The son really doesn't care for the deep curve of the butt plate so I thought I might try to fit something on it that is a bit flatter. Thought about heating and bending but figured it would most likely break since I'd have to take it pretty far. The problem is I'm really not sure what will fit. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:18:25 PM by longhunter1757 »

Offline Benedict

Re: Replacement CVA/Jukar buttplate?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:13:41 PM »
If the BP is brass you should be able to bend it cold.  You may want to heat it to anneal it if it gets tough to bend.

Track of the Wolf (TOW) has full size photos in their catalog of all the parts.

Good luck.
Bruce

Offline Captchee

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
 myself i have not had much luck finding a replacement that would allow me to use the existing stock .
 now  that being said toW does carry some that have vering degrees of  Concave . but they are all cresant .
 flat early plates normaly carry a wider comb area .

note also that they are caste and  will break  if you bend them to much .
 heating will help but again  the will break  as there is often inclusions within the castings .
 Now what might help you is if your very lucky   the inside , very back heal section of the butt plat may not have been milled . Possibly milled only a little . This will let you take quite a bit of that area . Thus flattening the  butt even more  by taking some off the heal combined with light bending.
 You will just have to look . Its one of those cases of some are , some aren’t .

Also remember that  A&H , JUKAR , CVA  and NA all produced rifles that were very close to  each other  in shape and in parts

My advise as to bending  of these companies  brass parts  is, that you better have a  replacement either on hand or available
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:33:24 PM by Captchee »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
You can't bend that buttplate.  They are thin and radically concave on the back side.  If you try to bend it, it will crink on you.  Also, you can't just bolt a flat buttplate to an existing stock profile.  You have heel and toe angles to worry about because the stock is already shaped.  You will have to follow the comb line when replacing it.

That being said, those plates do not have a very large arc in them to start with.  That style is designed to be shot from the small of the bicep, NOT flat against the shoulder.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
Another possibility would be to take some off the heal extension this will give the appearance of a flatter but.  look inside the but plate and see how much you could take off before cutting through.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

longhunter1757

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 03:04:21 PM »
Thanks all!
Got the answers I expected. Just going to leave the buttplate as is and he'll have to get used to it.

Rich

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
FYI, I replaced my Nephews CVA/Jukar flint lock with a L&R replacement from TOW if you ever run into and issue with his original lock.  This made the gun very dependable and functional with very little modification.  In its original state it would have been a wall hanger.  Again just FYI if you ever need it.

Brett.