Author Topic: Broken hammer spring  (Read 4272 times)

Al Lapp

Broken hammer spring
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
Was at then range yesterday at our regular black powder shoot and the mainspring broke on my fulstock flintlock that I purchased from track in July. I emailed them about the problem and they advised me to send the lock plus the broken spring to Jim chambers for repair. (it is a large siler lock) I am not looking forward to being without the gun for that long. If I order a spring from TOW is there much fitting involved. I live on Vancouver Island in B.C. Canada so I will be about two weeks just to get a new spring. Also I only got about 25 shots in total before it broke.  Thanks for any advice     Al

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Broken hammer spring
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:45 AM »
If you have more than one gun with that lock I would get one from each of those sources and then hjave a spare.    Gary

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:48:37 AM »
Order two springs directly from Jim Chambers.  Then you will have an extra should another break.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »
Hi Al,
 Just phone Jim and explain what happened. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Like Whitebear said,get a spare. get a feather spring too.I'm going to do the same for both my Chambers locks,as a matter of fact, going to order complete locks as spares. Out here in the world, IT happens. I've never broken a main spring before but ya never know.  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:47:11 AM by Daryl »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:40:16 AM »
I broke the main spring on the DST on my flintlock and bought a new spring, about a year later it broke again, ordered another, when this one broke I ordered two 8 years ago haven't broken one since!!!
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:51:24 AM »
Jim Chambers is a great man to deal with. I bet he will do what it takes to make you happy and in a hurry too.   Get another spring like the others said you will be glad you did. good luck to you
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Al Lapp

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I hope this post was not read as a complaint, as Leatherbelly said, IT happens. My main concern was getting the gun shooting again as soon as possible. I ordered a spring from track also a spring vise. I was concerned with how difficult it is to replace the spring. The only mention I can find is removing a unbroken spring by compressing it by cocking the hammer installing the vise and then releasing the hammer. Can I compress the spring with the vise without damaging it ? (the spring) Also I will probably send the spring to Jim so he can have a look at it and possibly tell me if it was spring failier or something else.. Also I am going to be pretty busy next week as I am in the process of putting in a possible 175 yard range at the club and have a machine coming Monday morning. Good luck to everyone this hunting season.      Al
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:48:19 AM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
The ol scout motto, carry a spare!

Saved my shooting more than once over the years......

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:50:22 AM »
Al, once you get the spring and spring vice, it is easy to see what must be done.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:46 AM »
Always pull the cock to half-bent before you put the vise on the spring.  then lower the cock to the relaxed position, and the spring remains bent and comes out easily, and more important, goes back in even easier.  Then half cock it again, and remove the vise.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.