Author Topic: Making a PA Rear sight  (Read 4128 times)

ken

Making a PA Rear sight
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:09:42 AM »
Does anyone have any experience making a PA rear sight using just a hammer, anvil, and forge? I don't have a mill, just hand tools. Are there any tutorages? I am looking to do it the old way and obtain that look. Any help, pictures, or drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
Re: Making a PA Rear sight
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:27:39 AM »
Ken,

I don't have a mill either but I make all of my sights from mild steel hot-rolled bar stock that I buy at the local hardware store.

I start by heating the steel up to red hot in a MAPP-gas torch and then bend about 1/2 inch over the edge of the anvil to an angle of about 45 degrees.  Then with hand files I shape the bent part into the angled up-right part of the sight and the long part into the base.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow night for you.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »
I have quite a few just cold forging a section of half inch cold rolled square stock you can pick up at the hardware store. No heat needed to make a standard PA rifle sight.  You start my beating down the squar stock to about three eights thick for the first 5/8th  inch. This will become the wings of the sight that over hang the top flat. Use your hack saw to cut out the bits that shouldnt be there then cut off the blank once you have filed all the details you want using the long section as a way to clamp the sight in your vice. Herschel house shows this technique in the American Pioneer video Building a Kentucky rifle. You can rent the video from the technical video people off the web.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:05:05 AM »
Recreating The American Longrifle by Buchele-Shumway-Alexander has some info you might find usefull on making rear sights.    Gary

jwh1947

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:18:40 AM »
By PA You apparently mean Pennsylvania.  As one who has been called Freudian anal already on the site, allow me to point out that there are distinctly different Pennsylvania sights.  For instance, a regularly found Lancaster variation has a larger base forward of the notch than, say, a Lehigh, the latter being tiny by comparison and distinctly different in contour.  Also, a quick look at some originals will suggest that the front sights put on most contemporaries are way too large. Hope this helps.  Wayne 

ken

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »
I wil haye to look at a few orignals and narrow down tto a school. I quess ther is no ginairic wayor style Back to hammer and steel , add a file or two.                            thanks ,KEN

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »
I imagine you'd pretty much make a blob on the forge, then file it out.

If you were to make a lot of sights, you could consider making a forming die to hammer the raw iron into. You still will have to use the files.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
I would forge a step on a piece of bar stock, using the edge of the anvil.  Then I would hot punch the scoop or dished area where the sighting notch will be cut using a round-nosed punch while holding the red-hot bar stock in the foot vise.  Then I would cut the sight blank off and repeat those steps till I had a pile of sight blanks.
Andover, Vermont