Author Topic: Swiss FFG  (Read 6433 times)

Offline doulos

Swiss FFG
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:07:51 AM »
Im getting ready to order powder again and have never tried Swiss. I shoot all .54 or 58 calibers.  Ive usually used Goex FFG or KIK FFG.  Is Swiss FFG appropiate? Or should i mix the order with some FFFG and 1.5?

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Swiss FFG
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:23:33 AM »
I use Swiss FFg in my .54.  I have recently purchased some FFFg Swiss but haven't done any comparison yet.  I have also used Swiss 1 1/2F in the .54 and couldn't tell the difference between it and FFg.  Originally got the 1 1/2Fg for use in a large blackpowder cartridge rifle where it works very well.  Looking at the granules of these two I don't see a difference either. 

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
I use Swiss 2f in my 54&58 and both work great, shoot great and are clean shooting compared to some other brands of powder.     Gary

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »
I use Swiss 1 1/2f in my .45 long range target rifle. 90 gr. of it throws the 530 gr. bullet at 1300fps and is the best for the least fouling.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:12:27 PM by Keb »

northmn

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »
As a rule Swiss will give more velocity with the same powder charge and burns cleaner.  I use 2f in my 54 and use 90 grains as compared to GOEX at 100 or so.  Chronograph show about the same velocity.  It is generally liked by those that have tried it.

DP 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »
Im getting ready to order powder again and have never tried Swiss. I shoot all .54 or 58 calibers.  Ive usually used Goex FFG or KIK FFG.  Is Swiss FFG appropiate? Or should i mix the order with some FFFG and 1.5?

A friend has had good luck with Swiss 1.5f in RB guns as accuracy loads. I use FF and FFF. 1.5f at 110 grains puts my 54 about 10" low at 100 compared to fff.
I would point out that in 58s you may find you will be limited to about 100 grains of powder.
Limited testing has shown that 110 causes an unexpected increase in fouling. Mad Monk says this is due to the combustion temp of the Swiss. Apparently the 58 is a bore size that causes problems with this ????
I can shoot my 16 bore rifle (67 cal) virtually all day with 140 gr of FF.
I have not had any problems with 50 and 54 calibers but use 90 gr FFF in the 54 (vs 100 goex) and 75 in the 50.
Both produce far less fouling than Goex and velocity is as good of superior to FFF goex.

I can sh0ot 20-30 shots from the 50 with no wiping using beef tallow for patch lube and blowing in the bore between shots. Accuracy is pretty good too and it seems to shoot better unwiped than wiped with tallow.
I really like swiss and don't buy anything else. I use "Null B" for prime.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline doulos

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
I'm getting ready to order powder again and have never tried Swiss. I shoot all .54 or 58 calibers.  Ive usually used Goex FFG or KIK FFG.  Is Swiss FFG appropriate? Or should i mix the order with some FFFG and 1.5?

A friend has had good luck with Swiss 1.5f in RB guns as accuracy loads. I use FF and FFF. 1.5f at 110 grains puts my 54 about 10" low at 100 compared to fff.
I would point out that in 58s you may find you will be limited to about 100 grains of powder.
Limited testing has shown that 110 causes an unexpected increase in fouling. Mad Monk says this is due to the combustion temp of the Swiss. Apparently the 58 is a bore size that causes problems with this ????
I have not had any problems with 50 and 54 calibers but use 90 gr FFF in the 54 (vs 100 goex) and 75 in the 50.
Both produce far less fouling than Goex and velocity is as good of superior to FFF goex.

I can sh0ot 20-30 shots from the 50 with no wiping using beef tallow for patch lube and blowing in the bore between shots. Accuracy is pretty good too and it seems to shoot better unwiped than wiped with tallow.
Dan
Dan , does the fouling occur with all grades of Swiss in a .58? Or just with the FFG?

P.S.---- Has anyone tried Schutezen black powder?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:47:11 AM »
I'm getting ready to order powder again and have never tried Swiss. I shoot all .54 or 58 calibers.  Ive usually used Goex FFG or KIK FFG.  Is Swiss FFG appropriate? Or should i mix the order with some FFFG and 1.5?

Dan
Dan , does the fouling occur with all grades of Swiss in a .58? Or just with the FFG?

P.S.---- Has anyone tried Schutezen black powder?

I tried FFF too and it did about the same. I don't think you will need more power than 100 grains of Swiss will produce. 90 of fff in my 38" barreled 54 is over 1900. But it has a cupped breech.
I had some older Schuetzen that I tried in my 16 bore made a lot of fouling flakes in the bore and the Nock breech plugged in 3 shots. Swiss can shoot all day.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

g.pennell

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
I bought a mixed case of Schuetzen 2F and 3F a couple years ago, to try in my BPCR's (mostly .45-70).  I have some VERY accurate loads with the 2F, and use the 2F for my .54 flintlock as well.  Chronographed in my .45-70's, the lot of Schuetzen 2F that I have is about 75-80 fps slower than the same volume of Swiss 1.5 .  I've tried just about everything I can get my hands on, and keep going back to Swiss for my match shooting...superior velocity, SD/ES numbers, and manageable fouling.

90 grains of Schuetzen 2F is acting like it wants to shoot well in my .54...if I have my head on straight it usually cuts cloverleafs at 50 yards.  I haven't chrono'ed any loads through it yet, though.

Greg

brewyak

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 03:54:43 AM »
I converted from goex to swiss a few months ago, and I don't see myself going back to the goex anytime soon.   The swiss shoots a lot cleaner out of my 54 and I don't feel as though I have to use as much of it compaired to the goex

Offline doulos

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:42:19 AM »
I converted from goex to swiss a few months ago, and I don't see myself going back to the goex anytime soon.   The swiss shoots a lot cleaner out of my 54 and I don't feel as though I have to use as much of it compaired to the goex
what Swiss are you using in the .54?  FFG , OR FFFG?