Author Topic: engraving on butt plates  (Read 4692 times)

Offline smylee grouch

engraving on butt plates
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:09:09 AM »
On some of the originals you will see engraving on the heel extension of the butt plates, but are there any examples of original rifles with engraving on the butt (rear portion against your shoulder) itself?       Gary

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: engraving on butt plates
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
Some super high art European guns have engraving there. I've never seen it on an original longrifle.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
As Gary said, I've seen it on some high grade English fowlers - sometimes a small "wreath" like feature around the screw heads; sometimes a little bit of border around the edges.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
At the last CLA show in Lewisburg, PA, they had a large exhibit of the original rifles also.  I had the opportunity to study RCA 53 in detail.  There were faint traces of engraving on the BP extension.  It consisted of a fine line paralleling each side of each facet of the octagonal flats.  At the front end, adjacent to the wedding band these lines were connected with an arc.  At the rear end the just ended.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
While not original to the eighteenth century, Keith Casteel routinely engraves, or carves the flat of the butt plate, and they are original to him. Maybe he should have a school named after him!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »
Speaking of Keith Casteel, he is a master at deep relief carving of brass and steel.  As the previous post says, he routinely carves scenes into the buttplates on his rifles.  His book, "Keith Casteel - Full Circle" has many great photos of his work and shows many of the carved/engraved buttplates.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »
Here is an example off an English gun