Author Topic: New Project...Transitional Rifle  (Read 13450 times)

rdillon

New Project...Transitional Rifle
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
I wanted to get some feedback on this project I've been working on.  I over took my wifes quilting table to do the carving of don't mind the mess or my poor picture taking skills! ;D  I had this at the CLA Show and got some good feedback and made a few changes and started carving away!!!  I was going for an early Germanic Theme but leaning more towards the transitional side.
It has a Getz .60cal 43" bbl.,sand cast butt plate, cast trigger guard, and a modified Chambers lock.  I made all the other parts(except the screws).  The nose cap is a one piece grooved and the thimbles are 3/8" at the entrypipe to almost 1/2" at the upper thimble.  Not quite sure what to do with the box lid yet, was hoping for a little feed back there.  

Hope the carving and all else looks pleasing to everyone.

I will have it at the Meyerstown show this weekend if anyone wants to see it in person.

Many Thanks, Rich

If you want to see close-ups just go to my photo bucket.  Jr1000yarder

r
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:48:04 PM by RDillon »

Offline t.caster

Re: New Project...Transitional Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Looking GOOD! That is one of my favorite Pre Revs. It will make an awesome hunter!
Tom C.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Rich:  This is simple and elegant!  It is just the type of carving I like.  Everything else is first rate as well.  I think your wife will forgive you for using the quilting table.
Curt

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
That is a fine looking specimen, and you display a lot of skill at keeping the decoration simple but elegant.  Also, I like the way you kept the proportions (e.g. butt width, wrist-step) from being exaggerated the way they seem to be on a lot of rifles from the same genre.  Your forestock molding is quite graceful, especially the termination near the forearm, as well. 

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
I especially like the syle of the carving around the tang!  Great job- wish I had your talent and patience.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

rdillon

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
Thanks so much for all the kind responses.

Its far from finished but I suppose I am on the right track.

;)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
 Looks great Rich nice lines and the flow in the wrist is very well done. Look forward to seeeing it finished.

Tim C.

jimc2

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
Rich very clean sexy slim. The triggers are great looking,nicely done. Can I hug it tomorrow at Meyerstown????? Jim correll ;D

rdillon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
Rich very clean sexy slim. The triggers are great looking,nicely done. Can I hug it tomorrow at Meyerstown????? Jim correll ;D

Anything for you Mr Correll! :o

Hope to see you but I may have to work. Dad will be there with it.  Hope all is well.

Rich
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:06:29 PM by RDillon »

Black Hand

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:21:59 PM »
I like it very much!  Clean, elegant and well-executed!

My only concern (though minor I'm sure) is the grain direction in the wrist area.....
Albert

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
You're doing a great job Rich.  Your workmanship is very good in my opinion.  You have a piece of hard maple there, and shouldn't have trouble with the quarter sawn wrist - if you don't drop the rifle or let it fall over.  I predict you'll be as careful of the finished piece, as you have been already with its making - so no problems.  Great architecture.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »
Rich,

I think you are doing some good things.  I like the general architecture and most of the carving and moldings.  One area that is a bit weak in my opinion is the tang carving.  A few things to consider...  I would make the incised lines forming the shell pattern heavier.  These seem to look best if tapered with the design.  That is, widening out with the shell.  Also, laying out the locations of these lines can sometimes be a bit tricky.  Each lobe of the "shell" pattern should have sufficient taper but not too much.  Most of the lobes look decent, but the ones nearest the barrel have too dramatic of a taper.  You can adjust this somewhat by widening the incised lines appropriately.  One final note.  With a design such as this, it often helps to have an arc or some element for the incised lines to stop against.  This keeps them from getting too cramped and confusing while creating some visual interest as well.  Oh, one more thing...  I would suggest clamping the stock securely in a vise while carving.  It may not be what feels comfortable at this point, but I think you will find that it helps your work as you become accustomed to it.  Overall good job!  Make sure you show us pictures when its finished.

Good luck,
Jim

rdillon

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »
Jim,

I could make the incised lines a little wider and then taper thinner towards the end...I didn't think of that.  They do stop at an arc at the rear of the tang but my picture is really bad.  It looks better on photobucket.  Which lobes have too much taper?  You said closest the the bbl.  Are you talking about next to the tang????

I just started carving on shot bags/sand bags and sitting down in a chair.  I feel that I have much better control that way.  But perhaps I should also keep trying the tightly clamped in a vice method too.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »

Rich,

The two lobes of the shell pattern which are nearest the barrel.  The lobes at the base of the shell.  Hope this makes sense?  Don't know how else to describe them.

Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
Looks like a good mix of early influences that blend together well.  I see RCA 19 in the carving behind the cheek and the buttstock, and think I see some influence of the fine Berlin smooth rifle (first gun in RCA volume 2, I think) in the treatment of the wrist, which is stepped but delicate.  Maybe some more Reading influences in the buttstock and buttplate.  Will you engrave the guard?  What did you use for inspiration for the wrist/tang carving?  RCA 30-something?  Show me the sideplate!
Andover, Vermont

rdillon

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Looks like a good mix of early influences that blend together well.  I see RCA 19 in the carving behind the cheek and the buttstock, and think I see some influence of the fine Berlin smooth rifle (first gun in RCA volume 2, I think) in the treatment of the wrist, which is stepped but delicate.  Maybe some more Reading influences in the buttstock and buttplate.  Will you engrave the guard?  What did you use for inspiration for the wrist/tang carving?  RCA 30-something?  Show me the sideplate!

I am going to make the sideplate tonight.  YES YES!!!!  You got it!!!!  RCA 19, and some Early Reading stuff mixed in.  I wanted to build something a little outside the box so to speak and let it all hang out there.  Kinda risky I guess on my part.  
The guard will be engraved I just didn't get that far yet.  Was thinking of copying the engraving on the orginal guard with some subtle changes???  What do you think?? ??? ;D

Got some clean-up work 2 do on the carving too

Jim Kibler, I get it now thanks!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:57:17 PM by RDillon »

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 12:33:35 AM »
Lookin good Rich!!   ;D

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 02:32:03 AM »
Rich,

I LIKE IT!

I love those early rifles and I think you have done a great job capturing its soul.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 05:32:03 AM »

I am going to make the sideplate tonight.  YES YES!!!!  You got it!!!!  RCA 19, and some Early Reading stuff mixed in.  I wanted to build something a little outside the box so to speak and let it all hang out there.  Kinda risky I guess on my part.  
The guard will be engraved I just didn't get that far yet.  Was thinking of copying the engraving on the orginal guard with some subtle changes???  What do you think?? ??? ;D

The engraving on the guard and buttplate of the original RCA 19 is unique and charming, but I might also be tempted to consider engraving like the guard on the Beck rifle RCA 100.  It's much more formal and would require a lot more skill but your guard reminded me of that one.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Artificer

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »
I like that rifle a lot.  I'm a sucker for early rifles.  Grin.

Gus

Michael

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 02:41:36 PM »
That number 19 sure do git around ;D ;D

rdillon

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »

The engraving on the guard and buttplate of the original RCA 19 is unique and charming, but I might also be tempted to consider engraving like the guard on the Beck rifle RCA 100.  It's much more formal and would require a lot more skill but your guard reminded me of that one.
HMMMM I like #100 as well.

Great Idea!

I will post more when I get her finished!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:13:25 PM by RDillon »

jimc2

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
Rich I got to hug it today.

Rich I got to hug it today. In person all i can say is wow its gonna knock your socks off when its done. The triggers are superb.Carving great, just beautiful'. ::)

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 12:30:43 AM »
I think it is very nice. thanks for the pics. please post more as you progress
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

rdillon

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
Rich I got to hug it today.

Rich I got to hug it today. In person all i can say is wow its gonna knock your socks off when its done. The triggers are superb.Carving great, just beautiful'. ::)

Thanks Jim..

Thank really means alot coming from you.

It least you got to see it "live" and not in pictures.