Author Topic: What the heck is this?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
What the heck is this?
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190518539
That wood looks more like Pine than maple.
Dennis
ps I am not associated with the auction, just curious
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

BGC

Re: What the heck is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:58:49 PM »
Pine or brush marks from applying varnish.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
Well Dennis from my perspective I'm only used to seeing the great work done here by everyone, but this one gives me the impression it was cobbed together from available pieces?  Not sure what the wood is, could be CM, but southern pine (a hardwood) possible?  I wonder if the side plate is a replacement?  The forward bolt head looks like it's been through some tightening and loosening exercises and the hole on the plate looks cracked.  And why no bolt/screw in the rearward position.  Almost afraid to ask for better pictures from just an educational exercise.  Just MHO though as I'm certainly no expert.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline TPH

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Dennis, it is an interesting looking rifle, quite attractive really, thanks for pointing it out to us. Especially with the damaged area where a "rifle ball struck the stock"..... Yeah, right. Anyway, I don't think it is pine, there does appear to be some curl in the wood as seen below the patchbox in photo #4 and at the wrist in photo #6, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is it isn't maple.
T.P. Hern

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:23:07 PM »
The stock looks like Ash to me, but the pictures aren't very good, some area's look to have been singed, or maybe fire aged. It looks kind of contrived to me.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
Robby you may be right on with the ash and/or fire singed combo.   Either way the owner couldn't want to get rid of it too badly considering the dark photos. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »
then again if it were made in 1975............ ;)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »
I can say more about what it isn't, than what it is! With my pocket knife and 10X hand lens I might could ID it ;D

It does have some characteristics of Ash, but I'm 95% sure that it isn't. I think there's a pretty good chance that it's one of the dozens upon dozens of Tropical Hardwoods that we run into. The uniformity of the growth seen in the grain structure indicates a tree that probably had the same amount of sunlight, rain and constant unchanging temperatures 365 days of the year (conditions found close to the equator). But.....on the other hand, I have seen Doug Fir from coastal areas of the Pacific Northwest with these same characteristics. Look at the ray cells just below the sideplate, though. That's typical tropical hardwood, too, but again.....I've seen quartersawn Beech that looked like that! So? I give up!

westerner

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 01:46:18 AM »
Oak?  ???  Musket ball damage?  ??? :-\

Okay! Which one of you guys made it?   ::) ;D

Joe.  :)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 02:01:05 AM »
I downloaded the pictures and used  Picasa to open , enlarge and "lightened." The picture of the cheek stock certainly appears to be stripped maple>
Hurriicane

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
I agree with hurricane that it's probably a maple stock, simply because I had a Philadelphia made gun that had a similar looking grain structure.
And this rifle is similar to that Philly rifle architecturally as well. I'm not saying it's a Philly made gun, just that I don't think it's a fake, or a cobbled together concoction.

Heck, for the asking price, someone ought to buy it so they could post better pictures of it here. ;D Where's ol' mr nogold, he's got alot of money! :o

John
John Robbins