Author Topic: Fowler building class  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Fowler building class
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:17:24 AM »

Flintlock Gunsmithing Workshop with Jim Kibler and Ian Pratt - Starting in January of 2011 - Build a Fowler

Join us in building a mid 18th Century fowling piece based on the English style. We will have examples available for study. Build a stylistically accurate, dependable gun, starting with a barrel, a blank of stock wood and the necessary parts. Our class meets one Saturday per month from 8:30am to 6pm. Prior gun building experience is helpful, but beginners are welcome. Cost for this class is $150 plus materials. Space is limited, call the Log Cabin Shop for further information at (330) 948-1082.

Some of you who have attended gun building classes will note the relatively low price - this class is more of a workshop format. We meet one Saturday a month and work a full day, and Jim and I make sure everybody is on track to continue working on their own time until the next month's class. Everybody is free to move along at their own pace, and we maintain a pretty relaxed atmosphere.
   If you'd like to drop in and see what it's all about, we have three "open session" classes scheduled for October 23, November 27 and December 11, visitors welcome. As always, we encourage you to bring a gun you have built, or any related objects of interest. Also feel free to bring along your current gun building project for help or advice, we are always glad to assist.

One more thing - The Log Cabin Shop's annual "Early American Trades Fair" is coming up in October, here is a link to information  -

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12223.0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:18:48 AM by Pratt »

Offline b bogart

Re: Fowler building class
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:54:38 AM »
Hmmmm lets hear more Ian. Do we come with barrel inletted and rammer groove cut and hole drilled?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:17:17 AM »
Bruce,

I'm not Ian, but can help with your question.  Yes, at the time of the first class students generally have the barrel inlet and ramrod groove / hole completed.  In the past, Ian and I have been taking care of this for many of the students for a relatively small fee.   If a student feels up to it, they can certainly perform these tasks themselves.  Some care will have to be taken to insure the results of these operations approximate what was performed on the original study pieces the class projects will be based on.

cheyenne

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:28:18 AM »
Wish I could go......little far for me....I like San Antonio, but sometimes it feels like I'm stranded on a island.....at least when it comes to longrifles and building. :-[

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:48:47 AM »
 Well, we have had folks come from Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, but that's a stone's throw compared to Texas from here. Not real feasible to travel that kind of distance just to watch a bunch of guys drink coffee for ten hours and occasionally wave a chisel around  -  just kidding guys, you all work real hard... well, most of you ... well, now that I think about it, there are always more coffee cups than band aids in the trash at the end of the day..
  Here's a thought - last summer I taught a class out at the Washington Historical Gunmakers' annual event. In an area that is so far removed from what is generally considered the heart of longrifle building territory, a group of very enthusiastic builders have collectively put together this first rate educational opportunity not only for themselves but for anybody who cares to join in. As I understand it they have a guest speaker / teacher each year and also offer instruction from within the organization. Also it's a chance for them to get together with like minded individuals and compare their work, which is always beneficial.
  So essentially they have established a very successful event, pulling together longrifle builders and enthusiasts who were perhaps otherwise scattered across the region. I know that setting up and maintaining an event of this nature takes a whole lot of effort. But something that would be much simpler to set up and still very beneficial to you and other builders in your area might be to find a place or places where there is some work space, get together on some kind of regular basis and learn from one another. Everybody has different ways of skinning the same cat so to speak, even a handful of you could potentially help each other in your gun building efforts.
  Maybe there is a way to get something like this started through the ALR web site? Also there may be help available to get the word out through the NMLRA, maybe check and see who the representative is for your state and see what he or she has to say. There are very talented, skilled builders all across the country, perhaps some that live close enough to you that once your group was established might be coaxed into paying you a visit some time. Never know until you try. 

Offline Benedict

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:35:01 PM »
Washington is not the only place that has a historical gunmakes guild.  Montana and Oregon each have one.  I am VP of the Montana Guild and have attended the others.  If you are in the neighborhood, drop me a line.

Bruce

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »
Ian

Thanks for the kind words about the Washington Historical Gunmakers Guild. The Oregon Gunmakers and The Montana Guild are more people who refuse to let being out in the middle of nowhere keep them from learning more about the craft. We in Washington have been fortunate to have so many of the top talents willing to come out here and share their knowledge with us. If we can do it, so can anyone else. It just takes a bunch of like minded people willing to work together to make some really good things happen. Ron,Bruce,Bill, and all the others, thanks for your work. Ian, Wallace, Mark,Jack, George,Brian,and all the rest, thanks for sharing.
Steve
Steve Skillman

Leatherbelly

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
   Boyo boyo! Would I like to be part of this class! Do you offer a correspondence class? LOL!  ;D ;D Good going ,you guys. Couldn't get a better couple of guys to "guide" you through a build. Way to go Ian and Jim!

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:07:47 AM »
  Hey thought I'd bring this up from the back pages one time, Jim and I allowed for fourteen spots in the class and we still have a couple openings if anybody is so inclined. Before the Fowler class starts up we also have a couple "open session" dates, November 27 and December 11, anybody interested contact us for more information.
  Leatherbelly I apologize,  had not been on here for a while and didn't ever see what you had posted. Thanks for the encouragement, Jim and I both enjoy doing the gun building workshops. Correspondence class could be tough, maybe try mailing me your sawdust and we'll tell you if you took enough wood off yet. Closest  thing we've had to a correspondence class I guess - there's been a number of guys who have emailed regularly through their projects, can be a challenge trying to help them work through problems that way but we always get it figured out eventually. Kind of like what happens here on ALR, but with just one guy giving bad advice instead of fifteen. 
   Now I think about it, we had an offer from one of "the regulars" to video portions of the classes and post links here, maybe we'll check into that and see if he's still interested.   

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »

Now I think about it, we had an offer from one of "the regulars" to video portions of the classes and post links here, maybe we'll check into that and see if he's still interested.   

If this is done well, it could be beneficial to those who live too far away and hopefully profitable to those involved in it's production and sale.
Count me in. With all the other DVDs out there it's past time for a Kibler/Pratt video!  ;D

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »
If your close enough to take advantage of these classes, you really should. I can assure anyone that our members still talk glowingly about Ian as a teacher. We were really fortunate to get him to come out here and appreciate his continued support. One of the hard parts of the building skills is getting the subtle shapes and dimensions just right. These classes are very helpful. Hands on help is priceless.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
I been trying to get Pratt to come for dinner for years.

Maybe it's the menu? Or the 15 hr. drive.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »
Tom the drive would be no problem, just not sure about the 15 hour menu.