Author Topic: Kings Mountain Rifle  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Carper

Kings Mountain Rifle
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:57 AM »
I was in Abingdon ,Va for work today and wondered into the little museum where the local milita supposedly gathered prior the Battle of Kings Mountain. I nice rifle was behind glass and the clerk told me that it was a rifle used by William Edmonson ( spelling) at the battle as was recovered by his relatives due to his death during the fight. She told me that the rifle had been somewhat restored by a man named Jim Bundy.  Has anyone else seen this rifle and is it the real deal?  They have a nice little museum.  Johnny

Virginiaboy

Re: Kings Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
I have seen that rifle, I dont know if it is the real deal but they think so.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »
Carper,
You'll find some comments regarding that rifle here. Or maybe its not the same rifle because there's a different name connected to it. Supposedly Kings Mountain none the less.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=26330.0

John
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:58:54 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Virginiaboy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »
Those are two different rifles at two seperate museums. Mr. Glazener posted a Jacob Shaffer that was never at Kings Mountain. The Abingdon Muster Grounds has a rifle more likely to have been at Kings Mountain. It is also a very plain rifle at Abingdon.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
Ah, my mistake!
Do you have any pictures of this other rifle?

John
John Robbins

Virginiaboy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
No but I go down to Abingdon very often and I can stop and get some I know the man who works there on Saturdays. I have started re-enacting a Va backcountry man from 1770-1790 and that museum is a big help.

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »
I've seen the rifle. It's way too young to have been at the Battle of Kings Mt in 1780.

It's been "reconverted" to flint, but I don't believe it was flint originally.

The barrel is marked "J. Dickert 1776". The "J. Dickert" and the "1776" were engraved by two different guys. The "J. Dickert" by someone (perhaps THE J. Dickert) who knew what he was doing. The "1776" was worse than my engraving. When I saw the rifle several years ago, I suggested that perhaps an old barrel had been restocked at a much later period. Someone used to looking at J. Dickert rifles needs to look at the barrel, though.

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com