Author Topic: Advice On Jewelers Saw Blades  (Read 9941 times)

dannylj

Advice On Jewelers Saw Blades
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
Going to order my first jewelers saw tonight and need advice on blades. What would ya'll reccomend for the 3 most useful sizes.  Thanks  Danny

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Advice On Jewelers Saw Blades
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
I will let others tell you the sizes, but I can tell you from experience you will likely regret buying anything other than the Laser Gold blades from Rio Grande

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/SearchPage.aspx?page=GRID&category%7Ccategory_root%7C120=Bench+Tools+and+Equipment&category%7Ccat_120%7C340=Saw+Blades+and+Frames
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
Size of blade depends on how thick the metal you want to cut is. Fewer teeth pr inch, the quicker the blade cuts, but less control. The more teeth pr inch, the smoother the cut and better controll.

For minimum controll you need at least 3 teeth = the thickness of the sheet metal. If you are cutting 0.1" thick sheet metal you need at least 30 teeth pr inch.
The blades I use most are:
 nr.3/0,very corse,good for metal thicker than 1/6"
 nr.0, medium, good for 1/16" to 1/32"
 nr.0/3, fine and nr.0/5,very fine for metal less than 1/32"

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:45:19 PM by Rolfkt »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
Fun definition for you:
Jeweler’s saw: a device designed to assess your fine motor skills and simultaneously act as a nano-torque wrench and a stimulus package for the tool supply store as the blades break with 0.33 nanojoules of non-parallel force.
Andover, Vermont

srspicer

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:59 AM »
I second the Rio G. blades.
 I use a lot of blades, and it is personal taste, once you get familiar with the different brands, coarseness, coatings, etc. Something else to keep in mind, I use wax as a lubricant sometimes, and it helps extend blade life and helps keep a nice smooth operation during your cuts. I also recommend a bench pin of you don't already have one. You can look them up on the Rio G. site at the same time. Remember, you get what yo pay for, so don't order the cheapest saw frame. ;) Good luck and keep us posted. Learning to use a jeweler's saw can be very frustrating. I would be happy to give you advice on how to make certain cuts. I have been using them for over thirty years.

Regards,

Scott

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:48:50 AM »
The Rio Grand web site lists several styles of saws, and blades. Just wondering what saw and blade sizes most guys use.   Gary

California Kid

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:30:03 AM »
O, with the round back  blade. Great for most longrifle tasks.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly on the rounded backs; for you can make turns better with less binding.

The rule of thumb for the number of teeth is to have at least three teeth in the material at any given time. So if your material is 1/16 thick, you can get teeth that are about .015 to.020 apart.

For 1/32 material, the teeth should be closer set, about .008 to .010 apart.

If you use too coarse a blade, it grabs the material, and this strains the blade and your patience.

Run a little soap or wax on the blade every so often as you saw.

I am almost sixty and still haven't figured out the blade numbering system. Hence I have a drawer full of blades of different sizes. :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:19:42 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »

Quote: "I am almost sixty and still haven't figured out the blade numbering system. Hence I have a drawer full of blades of different sizes."

PHEW... I thought I was the only one!!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

jimc2

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
I still have the blade that came with the saw,when you get the saw take the blade out put it somewhere safe that way after lots and lots of broken ones you can say the same thing.One tip do not talk to any one have  your eyes on the cut think of nothing else sometimes it is a long learning curve ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
Thanks, Google.

dannylj

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I ordered a saw frame (5 1/2") and 3 packages of blades from Rio Grande. We will see how they work.  Danny

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
Now that is helpful.... I will post it next to my computer that I use to order and reorder and reorder and reorder saw blades............. ;) ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »

Quote: "I am almost sixty and still haven't figured out the blade numbering system. Hence I have a drawer full of blades of different sizes."

PHEW... I thought I was the only one!!!!

Oh c'mon Tim, there are LOTS of people that are "almost sixty" ;D

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
 ;D  well, that may be but I have one of the largest inventories of saw blades East of the Mississippi!!  ::)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
;D  well, that may be but I have one of the largest inventories of saw blades East of the Mississippi!!  ::)

Oh, yeah?

We should get together and compare.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
RIO sells a variety pack that has several blade sizes in it at a very reasonal cost. I think I use the No. 2 size the most and I think that you get 2 dozen with this pack. I used 10 blades on my last patch box. But then I tend to be heavy handed.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

oldiemkr

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:54:01 PM »
Don't try to start out with blades that are real small. You have to develop a touch or a feel with a saw like this. Busting blade after blade gets frustrating.
Acers advice is correct. You need multiple teeth on the material when cutting. Too large of a tooth will snag on the material. OOPs Rolfkt covered that. 

A good practice piece is to cut out a coin. Just leaving the head or eagle or whatever hanging by tiny parts left connected to the outside diameter.

Almost sixty? I'd like to be almost sixty again!!!

tuffy

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »
Here's a specification chart that may help a little more. It'll give you what size blade to use on steel and brass of different thicknesses. I copied it on to heavy paper and keep it on the wall in the shop. Seems like I use it quite a bit.
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/jewelers_saw_blades.htm

dannylj

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 02:28:03 AM »
I really appreciate all the comments. Talk about service! - from Rio Grande I ordered a German made 4.72" saw frame and a dozen each of Laser Gold blades in 1/0, 4, and 5/0 late Wed. night and they were delivered about 10 minutes ago. Saw, blades, and delivery was $35.49 and they look like real quality.  Danny