Author Topic: CA opening deer weekend  (Read 3148 times)

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
CA opening deer weekend
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
Howdy all,

I spent opening weekend of CA deer season in my woods dodging the mass of modern hunters--a parade of 4wd... We were on foot and kept to the higher elevations off the jeep trails and above most of the other hunters in the hope that their noise would drive a buck up to us... My son and I hiked with backpacks up the mtn and set up a small camp alone.. we had a good time and on the last morning he said, "Dad, watching the fire die to coals last night was better than playing my XBox.." --score one for the woods.

The weather was clear and warm/mild. We were at around 6500-7000 ft elev. We were well up the mtn and had very few mosquitos to bother us. We could see a steady procession of jeeps on the road below... an amazing invasion...

I was carrying a .50 cal flint longrifle. This is a "CA lead ban" zone so I am using ITX non-toxic roundball to hunt with. I loaded a .487 size ITX roundball and it loaded real nice--no cut patch and it just felt right going down--snug with a .010-.015+- well greased patch.

I staked out a likely spot and also did my fair share of hiking and using my binoculars, lots of old tracks and sign but no deer--I never even saw one 'cept a doe and fawn, I also saw day-old bear scat and tracks about 200 yards from down where I parked my truck... the prints were not huge, but the scatpile was---sheesh.

At the end of the weekend, I emptied my load at an old snag--instant ignition and it hit where I aimed. I plan on going out again soon... maybe on a weekday...

You can buy ITX non-toxic roundball at www.ballisticproducts.com
Galations 2:20

ken

Re: CA opening deer weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:55 AM »
Taking a kid hunting is really a great pleasure!! My daughter and I started hunting  with blackpowder together and have new stories to tell and many laughs to share. Lots of fun!!

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:06:59 AM »
My son has gone into the woods hunting with me since he was 8 or so. He has gone camping in the woods since...well before he was even born I figure...  When I go out in the woods solo, it feels funny not having him around.... He is 17 now-- and will soon be off to college--- leaves a bad feeling in my gut...but a good one too... we both have lots of memories.

Funny thing is, he is not much into hunting or even shooting, but he loves being in the woods---

K
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:09:40 AM by Ken Prather »

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
Your account reminds me of my own opening day strategy and experience when I hunted CA for a few years- get out ahead of the "hunters" and let their antics send the game to you.  Difference is, it always worked for me back then.  But "back then" last happened in 1974!  I'm hoping the lack of game says that you just didn't pick the right mountain and there's hope for future hunts.

Good job with your son.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
I see a lot of deer hanging out closer in to town... But these are the "local pets"--- you could hunt these with a bag of potato chips and a ballpeen hammer. :P :P

The migratory deer herd is maybe still up higher than where I went, but I did see lots of old tracks... the weather has been too mild. I am hoping for a storm soon to pull em down, but if I can, next time I am going to go up even higher--8000 or 9500 ft?

K

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »
Ken, Thats pretty cool! Three hunting scenes I remember the clearest, my first deer with a bow, my oldest sons first deer with a bow, and his first deer with a flintlock, and the look on his face. Special, real special. Good luck to you both!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln