Author Topic: Obscure German Gunsmith  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Obscure German Gunsmith
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »
I have looked for many years for information about the gunsmith C. MORITZ who worked in ZELLA Germany during the mid 19th century. He is the maker of a little 54 cal. jaeger rifle I have owned for quite a while. All I've ever found is from Stockel which gives several members of the Moritz family going back into the early 18th century working in the area of Suhl, with nothing about C. Moritz. This morning I was treading through Gunbroker when I ran across this old percussion cape gun. It was made by C. MORITZ in ZELLA. It is the first piece other than my own that I've ever run across by this guy. Kind of made my morning! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191733206          
Joel Hall

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
Re: Obscure German Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »
That is a nice looking rifle. 

Brett.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:58:55 AM »
Joel, what grand little rifle! When compared with the cape gun, it almost doesn't look like they are from the same maker's hand. The original owner must have been pretty well off to afford the work of art that hangs on your wall. Thank you for showing it around.
Dick

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:13:12 AM »
Very nice gun Joel, the condition (of yours) is great.  ;D

Frank

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
Thanks fella's for the kind words. As for the old cape gun on GB, it surely has seen better days! It was just a treat to see that guys signature on something else. I have to admit it doesn't take much to get me excited! Now I know what my wife was talking about when she said I was "easy" :o
Joel Hall