Author Topic: Chunk Gun  (Read 35815 times)

kenL

Re: Chunk Gun
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 04:25:59 AM »
I am fairly new here and I am too fixing to build a chunk gun this winter. I know the amount of drop depends on a lot of differnet things but just for general conversation how much straighter would you veteran chunk shooters say a chunk stock should be in comparison to your normal muzzleloader. Half in, one inch ???????? Just curious?

FG1

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »
After the discussion on cutting the first inch of barrel off muzzle of my barrel I finally got around to making a 'cats paw' for my big lathes spindle . I dialed in the barrel in a four jaw chuck and the 'cats paw' then faced and crowned muzzle also polishing with fine oiled emory paper.

I cast up some .452 bullets of pure lead from a 45 ACP 200 gr mould and lubed them . Inserted one in breech of barrel and screwed plug in pretty snug then slipped a 3/8" brass rod down barrel and commenced to tapping on the lead slug with rod untill it would bounce real good . I was sure the slug had upset into riflings then . I pulled plug and tried to push tthe slug and it wouldnt start without a tap . I pushed it out from breech to muzzle and could feel it rotate as I pushed it all the way through and it exited muzzle with same feel the whole way.
I think this barrel is fine as is . Must be luck of the draw  ;D
So now onward with putting lugs on . 

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 03:28:09 AM »
FG1, not sure what a " cats paw " means or looks like.  Are you meaning a softener for the chuck jaws or collet for the spindle?.....  Kerry

FG1

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:25 AM »
It operates the same as 4 jaw independent chuck and mounts on spindle infeed or can also be removed and put on oct barrel in order to use it with steady rest if needed. It has four opposing bolts with jam nuts for adjusting.

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 05:31:34 AM »
Got it now....thx...   :) Kerry

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
This is all well and good but I am a chunk gun shooter reenactor, and therefore have to use a stock profile that is historically correct, group sizes be-darned.   ;D

Daryl

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »
This is all well and good but I am a chunk gun shooter reinactor, and therefore have to use a stock profile that is historically correct, group sizes be-darned.   ;D

Groups won't be too bad, considering you'll be using oversized balls and thick patches.  "chunk gun shooter reinactor" - HA!  good one.

California Kid

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 07:07:36 AM »
Ryan, I hope you wear a tie and your Sunday best bibs!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
Ryan, I hope you wear a tie and your Sunday best bibs!
Or,,,,, white shirt, black tie, black dress suit...!

Oh yes and black going to church hat. :)

FG1

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
Ok fellers , Im about to stage of putting some triggers in an would like some input if you would . I dont really care for set triggers , but like a high pinned simple trigger . Is there any distinct advantages of a set trigger for chunkin ?

FG1

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »
Decided on double lever single set triggers and made a set up . Still need a little polishin , springs heat treated , triggers treated with kasenite , a engagement screw and they are good to go  ;D
They still have my try pins in holding it together . Im going to used 1/16" music wire for axis pins .

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 07:57:57 AM »
Looking pretty good, Frank.  Maybe I ought to get you to build all my triggers from now on!  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

FG1

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
I tell ya .........if I was doin this for wages I'd starve as slow as I am  ;D

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »
Don't you want to bend the bar to match the curve of the stock?

FG1

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »
Yepper , its now arched with spring re-arched to match and inlet in stock . Need to do a bit of polishing heat treat the springs and kasenite the triggers .
Im pretty happy how this set turned out . A might better than my first set a month or so back :) 

FG1

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »
Gettin closer  ;D Should start sanding the Myrtlewood this afternoon .

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2010, 11:54:04 PM »
OOoooohh thats pretty!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

FG1

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
Thank you , I hope the figure shows good after the staining . Myrtle has a bit different figure than maple .

FG1

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2010, 02:34:45 AM »
Got her all done . 9-1/2 # , light by a lot of the standards but will be dual purpose until / if chunk shooting takes off here . Then I can build a 'bull barrel' version .
Until then this one will suffice :)
Homemade buttplate , trigger guard, pipes ,single phase double set triggers , rear site and stock from Oregon Myrtlewood plank.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2010, 03:39:09 AM »
    Nice, you done a fine job.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:30 AM »
Sweet!  How does she balance?  You'll have to bring'er to Iowa next year for our shoot.   Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

FG1

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2010, 06:40:54 AM »
Thank you Bookie ! Balances good and for carrying the balance is right where rear thimble would be if there was one.