Author Topic: Large/storage horns  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
Large/storage horns
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
I'm planning on getting a really large horn made.  It's about 24" around the outside curve.  I obtained a set of these horns off the same animal (left and right) a few years ago because they had absolutely gorgeous curve and twist.

What have people seen and done in the way of making really large horns?  I know Frank House carried a really large horn for a while that I saw about 10 years ago and it got me thinking. 

Any photos or ideas would be appreciated.  I'm thinking along the lines of a more rustic horn with folk art engraving, 1770 period, Shenandoah Valley.

Thanks

Leatherbelly

Re: Large/storage horns
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
 Hi Ryan,
   I've got 2 larger horns but 24" is huge. Both mine are close to 18" and I call them "Campaign" horns. One is a french style and the other is Brit/Colonial, F&I era. If you plan to use it as a supply horn to re-fill your regular horn,that would be cool. Might be a little large to carry tho. Just IMO.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
Ryan,
There are a couple very large horns in Madison Grant's Powderhorns and Their Architecture, pages 108-9, that he labels supply or storage horns. They look more like 19th century horns, but simply larger versions of carrying horns with rings around the spout and staples. One has a flat or slightly domed plug, one a simple turned one. Going by that I think that storage horns could be simply larger versions of a carrying horn.

There was a post here a year or so back about a very large original horn that a member had acquired, but I can't seem to find it. You might also ask over on The Horner's Bench:
http://thehornersbench.proboards.com/
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Harnic

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
I inherited one of those Texas Longhorn mounts my Uncle bought down south years ago.  I have no use for them mounted on the wall plaque, but I thought it would be cool to make a blowing horn from one & a powder "supply" horn from the other.  I imagine it would hold upwards of 12 pounds of powder!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:51:41 AM by Harnic »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 03:32:50 AM »
Ryan

Check out Tom Grinslades book Powder Horns Documents of history. He shows some storage horns in the back part of the book. Might get some ideas. Me, I would never carry such a large horn. To impractical.
Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
Unless maybe you were going to put it on a pack horse  you were taking on a long hunt of several months duration???.... But then I suppose small kegs would serve the purpose better??
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:36:35 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »
This is a large original storage horn that belonged to my friend and mentor. The horn pictured with it is a pretty large one in it's own right. Smaller one holds just over a pound of powder. The large storage horn now holds my friends ashes and is kept on his sons mantle displayed with one of his best longrifles.
Joel Hall