Author Topic: Article Series : Blackpowder Artist of Note -- ?  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Article Series : Blackpowder Artist of Note -- ?
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:25:16 AM »
I have added a new series to my web site called "Blackpowder Artist of Note".  Borrowing from the "Longrifles of Note" in MuzzleBlasts, I plan to add to the series weekly.  My purpose is two-fold.  I hope this will help me to update my site regularily, and to provide more web exposure for the artist.

The article will be short.  It will include a short paragraph about the artist, 1-3 photos, and contact information (phone, email, web address, etc.)  I hope to upload a new artist the first of each week. 

The first two are finished and include Jeff Bibb and Homer Dangler. 
http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/index.php

I'm curious about you thoughts and advice.
Regards,
Pletch

PS Please move this if this should be somewhere else.
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Article Series : Blackpowder Artist of Note -- ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:44:32 AM »
I am looking forward to it. Homer will be a fitting first.    Gary

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:29 PM »
Another dandy Idea, Pletch.  The short bios and contact info are great for those of us who hear names but don't often get to meet the artists.

Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »
I like this idea, Larry. I would be willing to take pictures of various artists in my neck of the woods for your efforts.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:42:55 AM »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the offer.  I'm grateful for your help.  Photos of the individual and also of a favorite project is generally what I'm looking for.  It is likely that what  is placed on this little promotion won't tell gobs about the artist, but perhaps it will bring more visits to their web site.  Hopefully we get the artist's web page to show up  more often on a Google search, or higher up in the search. 

I've been looking through my pics from Friendship, CLA, Dixon's, etc, for photos to use.  I'd accept pics from makers themselves for this purpose.  Thanks again, Tom.

Regards,
Pletch

PS - on other topic - I saw 100 +lbs slug gun at Friendship.   .69 caliber, 1785 gr 2 piece swaged bullet   I took photos and see an article here too.

Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
The new addition for this week is Charlie wallingford.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »
Larry--
Thanks for the wonderfull comments and exposure via your magazine. I, for one, really appreciate your efforts in bringing a little scientific data to the speed of the flintlock as well as the articles and recorded interviews that you have published.

I found the slow speed video of the locks very enlightening and surprising. Keep up the great work.
Thanks again

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the offer.  I'm grateful for your help.  Photos of the individual and also of a favorite project is generally what I'm looking for.  It is likely that what  is placed on this little promotion won't tell gobs about the artist, but perhaps it will bring more visits to their web site.  Hopefully we get the artist's web page to show up  more often on a Google search, or higher up in the search. 

I've been looking through my pics from Friendship, CLA, Dixon's, etc, for photos to use.  I'd accept pics from makers themselves for this purpose.  Thanks again, Tom.

Regards,
Pletch

PS - on other topic - I saw 100 +lbs slug gun at Friendship.   .69 caliber, 1785 gr 2 piece swaged bullet   I took photos and see an article here too.

Was this the Warner gun?

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:06:43 AM »

Was this the Warner gun?

Dan
[/quote]
No, the gun was made by George Mitchell.  He mentioned that there were four .69 cal slug guns; his, Warners, DeVaudrill, and Grote - if I remember correctly.  Devaudrill's was light , maybe 70 lbs or so.  I think the others all went over 100 lbs.

Regards,
pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 03:15:15 AM »
Here are a couple of fine gunbuilders I could probably get a better photo of, Larry. Allen Martin on the left, and Cody Tetachuk on the right ( a Pennsylvania longrifle builder from Alberta, Canada! ).

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 04:45:50 AM »
That sounds great.  I've met Allen at CLA and Dixon's.   Probably been involved with Cody on ALR.   Do you have one of Allen eating that burger?  I know Allen has a web site.  Does Cody?
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 08:00:32 PM »
This week, Mark Wheland is www.blackpowdermag.com 's  "Blackpowder Artist of Note".  He will be at the top of the Featured Articles column.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 03:19:12 AM »
This week, Ken Scott is www.blackpowdermag.com 's  "Blackpowder Artist of Note".  He will be at the top of the Featured Articles column.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com