Author Topic: Small Bores Again  (Read 3137 times)

northmn

Small Bores Again
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »

Thought I would post this picture of my latest bull squirrel. Don't know if he is record book or not. Rather smug about this one because it was a pretty shot.  He was in the top of a tall oak and I saw him while sitting him out.  Don't know the distance, but considering the size of the critter and the distance, it would have been equal to a very long shot on a deer.  Using these small bores out in the field are not only a sport in their own right, but to me this experience and one shot in the field is worth 50 shots off a bench.  I am still being reminded of how to load a hunting rifle so it goes bang later, field shooting positions, (I shot this one by leaning back in an almost Creedmore position) and other little field quirks, like the sights I am now using which I can see.  Range time has its value too, especially with a gun that kicks a little, but using these small guns really is a sport.  The 25 is very positive on impact at small game distances and definitely does not lack anything in this use.
DP

Offline Kermit

Re: Small Bores Again
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
Nice work! If memory serves, you are shooting buckshot, right? What size and what load on this shot?

More small bores! Didn't someone post the name of someone making barrels sized specifically for buckshot roundballs? LIke .28 and .33 cal or something?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

northmn

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
I got 5 lbs of what is supposed to be pure lead #3 buck from Track of the Wolf.  Others sell the hardened shot with antimony.  It uses 20 grains of Grafs 3f.  The Grafs seems to have a more manageable fouling.  015 patch and Bore Butter Lube (I tried the Bore Butter on a recommendation, it does work but better than Crisco or other less expensive concoctions???) 
To get a faster twist small bore barrel that uses buck shot contact Scot Pickett.  Scot.Pickett@Comcast.net  I have one of his barrels in a 33, whcih looks well made.  No time for a while to stock it yet.  May even go for a percussion.  May not.

DP

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
I've been shooting some of Track's #4 (Ed's suggestion) with 20 grains of 3f Goex, and I'm not real happy with crud. Been thinking of changing to Swiss for this gun, as I hear it's a bunch cleaner. How tight is that #3 for loading with that patch?

And I hear you on percussion. My wife shoots rimfire .22 a bunch, but is intimidated by muzzleloaders. Thinking a .32 to .33 underhammer for her. Thinking only at this point.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

northmn

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
Its fairly tight, but not excessive.  Actually the Bore Butter does seem assist in shot to shot fouling.  I put it off to regional humidity.  First round loads pretty smooth and I ahve been getting fairly easy no swab loading off the bench.  I do use a short starter.  I tried 4f at about 15-18 grains and it did work but tend to be very self priming.  While Swiss costs more you take forever to use up a pound out of a small bore.  I bought some Graf's to try and found it gave less velocity with the same charge through the chronograph than GOEX.  But it does seem to foul differently. Some call it Schutzen powder, whcih may ecplain it.   At 1680 fps mv, I really do not care about more power on a small critter.  One may however find that Swiss would work with a lighter charge whcih would also aid in fouling ???

DP

Levy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
I was at Scott Pickett's house last night visiting and discussing the upcoming squirrel season which starts this coming weekend.  He had just completed a nice .28 cal. barrel for me that is 3/4" across the flats and 36" in length.  I think it has about a turn in 34" twist.  I have another barrel on order that will be .33 x 36" x 14/16" .  It will be used to recreate my old original perc. squirrel rifle.  His barrels are designed to shoot buckshot and he can vary the twist rate.

James Levy