Author Topic: Loading stand request  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Loading stand request
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
Might not be correct forum but hopefully it will get some expeditious responses.  I have a friend just getting into muzzleloading with a shotgun while he is recovering from loss of a leg and adjusting to his prosthesis.  I need some photos or drawings of a loading stand to secure the gun while he reloads it.  Thinking of something he can attach to a table.  Can anyone help us out here. 

Jerry

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Re: Loading stand request
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
I screw two small blocks of wood to the end of the loading bench at the club just for this. Up in the rafter I keep a block of wood. So Maybe a longer board and c clamp it
David Veith
David Veith

northmn

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
Get one of those sliding bar clamps with a squeeze grip tightener to adapt to a bench and make a U or a V type notch in a board to support the barrel.  I cannot find it but I had one made out of a RE rod taht you stuck int he ground and had a couple of U welded on a rod on top with a plate for a box in the missle.  It was about 1 yard long or so.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »
Taylor and I merely use the saw blade on the Leatherman tools we always have at our belts, to cut a notch in the bench for the barrel.
When using a concrete bench, I have used a heavy piece of cardboard held down by my shooting box.  the card sticks out over the edge of the bench and it has the notch, either V or square, to hold the barrel.  I always place a square of old carpet on a concrete floor for protection of the rifle's butt.  When loading on the open ground, the ground is protection enough. If in rocks, I'd use the carpet or my foot.

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
I think David Veith has a good idea -- maybe a short relatively wide plank with a notch or two cut into the middle of one edge, then use a couple of cheap c-clamps in notches at the ends to attach it to table or bench.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:13:25 AM »
I use two of the sliding bar type clamps, gun goes between them and loading rod goes up against one. It works just about everywhere I go that has some type of loading table.   Gary

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »
  Our hardware stores carry a U shaped fork with a wood screw attached. the U is dipped in vynil or something for padding. These work nicely for a loading aid . Just screw them into the bench. I never heard a objection about a 1/4 in hole in the bench edge at our local non muzzloading club.  Not much good for concrete bench tops though.......
BJH

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
Jerry,

Good for you, helping your friend thru his recovery and adjustment. 

I shoot with a buddy at his farm sometimes.  We drive out in a field, away from the house and shoot into a steep hillside.  I made up this little deal and use the tailgate of my truck for a loading bench.  The notches are lined with leather.  It's pretty stable as is, but even more so with my shooting box sitting on it.  Also works good on a table top with a couple of clamps.  Hope this helps.

P.S. - Disregard the wheels.  Son's deal and a whole 'nother story.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »
Guy I saw once had one he made. No pics--sorry. He went to the hardware store (someplace that sells garden and birdfeeder supplies will do) and bought one of those stands that are meant to hang birdfeeders and such. Made from about 3/8 square stock, I think. He heated it up and bent it 90 degrees at a height that would hold his rifle. Then bent that part back 180 on itself and then bent that forward again in a wide "U" shape. Wrapped the "U" in leather. Bob's yer uncle. Walked out on the range and stepped on it to set the prongs into the soil, and it was good to go. Won't work much on hard surfaces, but sure is cheap and portable. Even looks sorta like it's trying to be PC.  ::)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline okieboy

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:18:09 AM »
If you look to the right of my ramrod, you can see my rifle loading control device with it's special universal attachment accesory.
Okieboy

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:53:24 AM »
I made up something similar to Okieboy.  Just a small scrap piece of plywood with a V-notch cut into the end.  I use two of those spring clamps that resemble clothes pins to secure to the  edge of the bench.  An old carpet sample is placed on the gravel under the bench.

I'm on the road, I'll try to remember to take a picture when I get back home.
Kunk

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:43 AM »
olieboy - looks like a great idea- wouldn't matter what the bench material was.

Just noticed and wondered why your postion is so loose? By loose, I mean unstable - if you rested your right elbows and left arm on the table(sitting closer to the cuttout of the bench) your accuracy should improve quite measurably. I do see the problem with the bench not being long enough to rest near the muzzle, but I'd found when bench rested, most longrifles (yes, long ones too) shoot most accurately if rested just back of the entry pipe on the wooden forend, and with a bit of padding to absort vibrations.  However, if that's your style, that's just fine.