Author Topic: Paper Cartridge?  (Read 3453 times)

Berks Liberty

Paper Cartridge?
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »
Anyone ever make up their own paper cartridges for bird shot?  If so how do you fold it so it doesn't fall apart. 

Jason

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Paper Cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:02:54 AM »
Berks, I use to make them before jug choked my barrels, it did make a measurable difference. I used 3"x5" index cards, cut to size. They would make a wrap 2ply thick around a metal dowel, it would end up the diameter I needed for the gauge I was using. I would leave enough material above the end of the dowel that would almost fold to the other side, then fold all the way around, and give the folded mass a few taps with a leather mallet, roll the corners of paper while still on the dowel. They never came undone, even after many trips to the field. I hope I explained well enough, if not feel free to ask. Jug choking makes everything so much easier.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:44:39 AM »
I understand the tube you made, but not sure what goes into it. Shot of course, but wads? Powder!?! How do you stack the column in the gun?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »
Kermit, The tube went in after the cushion wad (Which I would reduce by half, or thirds), It slid down the barrel snugly and was the length of the shot column, or a touch short, followed by the shot, then the over shot card.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:43:57 PM »
Kermit, with a solid sided 'ctg. as Robby noted, you may have a problem with the 'tube' always opening up and releasing the shot. I can see a  variable pattern happening with little consistancy, shot to shot.
It might work, maybe not.  If small enough so when ramming, split the ctg. open - they would be a better chance of spreading, but what shape of pattern if split on one side only?  Others on the site here at ALR have had poor luck with 'cased' shot spreading consistantly.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »
I played with paper cartridges for shot for a while and went back to regular loading.  Its almost easier to carry separate cartridges for the shot and powder.  You can make a powder cartridge with extra material and drop in the powder, use the paper for a wad and then drop in the shot and use its cartridge paper for an over shot. 

DP