Author Topic: Hawken Slant Breech Inletting Problem  (Read 16924 times)

wetzel

Re: Hawken Slant Breech Inletting Problem
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
Joel,  What did you use to treat the metal?  I really like the looks of it?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
I used 44\40 cold blue with a light 0000 steel wool rub down on the barrel.
Joel Hall

wetzel

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
Thanks Joel, I'm pretty new to gunbuilding so I have lots of newbie questions.  I hope you don't mind the questions or find them offensive and prying.  If you don't mind I have another one, what did you use to stain the stock to get that rich color?  What do you use as a finish?  I guess that two.  Have a great day.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
Wetzel, I don't mind your questions at all! That is how I learned a bit myself......asking questions. I used LMF (Laurel mountain Forge) Nut brown stain on this curly maple stock. I let it dry for a couple of days then applyed WATCO teak oil, hand rubbed in with a cotton cloth. Let dry 24 hrs then very lightly rubbed down with 0000steel wool. Then another coat of teak oil. After a week I waxed the stock with Bri-Wax. I like to use teak oil because you can handle the stock after just 10 to 15 minutes of application. No nasty finger prints. It is designed to take the outdoor weather (boat decks) with all of the harsh elements. Best of all it leaves a nice low luster finish.
Joel Hall

wetzel

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »
I sure appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.  After your second coat of Watco tweak oil did you just let it sit for a week?  Did you rub it with steel wool again or no?  I think the color and luster of that gun is truly beautiful!  I am going to try your method on a gun from Don Stithe.  Thanks again.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
The second coat of teak oil was applyed lightly for just an even cover (no steel wool rubbing).  I reassembled the rifle a couple hours after this and took it out for it's maidon shoot the very next day! I always use Bri-wax a week or two after a rifle is finished.
Joel Hall

wetzel

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »
Thanks Joel, I am going to try it.