Author Topic: Barrel length  (Read 7891 times)

Offline blackdog

Barrel length
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
My next build will be a Haines style (for myself) and I cant decide what barrel length to go with, a 54 cal c profile, 38'' or a 44''.  This will be my hunting rifle but I want it to shine on the range as well.  I like the 38'' because how they carry but I like the 44'' for how I shoot them.    Any suggestions or personal expirience would be great.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Barrel length
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
With that big hole in the barrel (assume a 15/16 straight) you should be able to handle the wt out front.  She should also then 'hang on a string'.  Chances are you will do more competition shooting than hunting ??? 

Depends also on how you hunt.  Tree stand sitting or still hunting!

Offline blackdog

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »
I do more stand hunting than than anything, but of course there is always more targets to shoot at than deer........
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
My next build will be a Haines style (for myself) and I cant decide what barrel length to go with, a 54 cal c profile, 38'' or a 44''.  This will be my hunting rifle but I want it to shine on the range as well.  I like the 38'' because how they carry but I like the 44'' for how I shoot them.    Any suggestions or personal expirience would be great.
Its all personal preference but I would not hesitate to go with the 38" I have owned them in 38, 42 and 44 and the only one I have kept is the 38 C profile .54 by far the best handling gun (large caliber) I have owned. It too is a Haines style.
Dennis 
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

northmn

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »
Building a hunting gun depends somewhat on the hunting.  Both barrels are a bit long for tree stand hunting and blind hunting in tighter quarters.  I have managed after a bit of experience to handle the 42" barrel on my Tennessee out of trees stands.  The key to carrying a rifle is the balance point, which can be to some extent determined by design.  The earlier designs with the broader buttplates and more massive stocks will balance further back for a better carrying hold than the later ones, using a heavier barrel.  A swamped barrel also helps of course.  Some of the later "Golden Age" rifles liked to balance about at the rear sight area, whcih to me was a pain.  Rear sight location does get a bit critical for older eyes.  Also make sure a hunting rifle has a proper pull for hunting clothing.  I have had to build a couple of newer rifles because my older ones were made for the target range and shirt sleeves.  Better to have one slightly too short than too long.  Were I to build a hunting rifle for occaisional target use I would go the 38 inch barrel.  But I have ,personally,  never really found longer barrels abover 32 inches to be an advantage for any form of shooting.  Actually I can probably shoot a 32 inch better.  Also look at the difference in weight fo the two if you have to carry it any distance.

DP   

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Is hunting more about "carrying," or more about "shooting?"

Really. Which part do you want to be easier or better? In a lot of cover, "carrying" wins. Me, I usually go with "shooting."
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline blackdog

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
Thats the real issue, neither is "more" important.  Comfort might the the better word.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:57:16 PM »
For a hunting rifle,  you won't find a much better handling rifle, than a Haines style with a .54 x 38" C weight barrel.   Weigh is nice length is nice, shoots like a charm.  I've converted several people to my way of thinking by merely letting them handle it.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
I have built more 38 in B weight .50 cal and C weight .54's for other hunters than anything else.
They will hold their own on the range too.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
I like a long barreled gun, 44", however, they are a pain in the neck to haul around in a car.  My brother Dick and I
designed that first Isaac Haines kit with the 38" Transition barrel.   It has probably turned out to be the most popular
kit ever sold.   I have no idea of how many we sold when we first introduced it, we then gave Wayne Dunlap permission
to sell them....I know he has sold a lot of them.    Then when Jim Chambers got into the kit business, he modified the kit
to accommodate his better investment cast brass hardware, and I would be willing to bet that it too has been one of his
best sellers.   I personally have built many of them.   A great balancing gun, and long enough to shoot well...........Don

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 03:45:53 AM »
I agree with what Don said about his Isaac Haines pattern.  I picked one up a year ago with the intention of being my loaner gun.  It feels so good that I will have a hard time loaning it out as I love the way it points and holds. 
I also agree with Dane and the rest of the posts about a 38" barrel being the way to go.  As far as handling you can't beat the 38" length.  For looks the 42", 44" and longer are the ultimate in my book.
I have hunted with D weight 42" in .60 caliber on horse back as well as a foot.  If you are not into heavy brush, the longer barrels are ok.
DMR

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 06:42:17 AM »
    If it is the weight your thinking about, try a octagon to round barrel, light and long slim rifle. :o    GOOD LUCK    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline blackdog

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replys.  Wieght isnt an issue I'm a pretty big guy, a 10 lbs Sharps is my "other" rifle.

Don, I'll be in contact next week to get  some more info on a 38'' barrel......
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
AMerrill--good point! I have two OTR barreled rifles, one a .50x46 and the other a .54x42. Other folks are very surprised at how they handle. Swamps look great as they are octagonal the full length, but an OTR is even less muzzle heavy. Makes for a good handling field gun. I've really come to like the looks of those two also.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
When I hunt with my flintlock, it's my Jaeger with a Getz .60 cal x 31" bbl that I take with me.  It's short enogugh to go on the dash of the truck for transporting, and in the thick bush here, it is a joy to use.
I once was hunting snowshoe hares with my 1st model Brown Bess (46" barrel).  I was on snowshoes myself, and on a couple of occasions while stalking a bunny, I found one behind me.  Spinning around with a long gun on snowshoes in thick willows is interesting to say the least, but it taught me to shoot off the weak shoulder.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
I've been using a 46'' OTR barreled rifle and its just not cutting it in the thick woods here.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 05:22:04 AM »
I've been using a 46'' OTR barreled rifle and its just not cutting it in the thick woods here.
Get a short barreled Kentucky 36" or so. 37 swamped will work fine.
Not as good as a 30" and for this a Jaeger  would be a good idea.
Or an English sporting rifle in full or for 1790-1840 1/2 stock.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline blackdog

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
38'' is the shortest I've seen for what I want to build.  I have a 31'' smoothbore on a danish jaeger that really handles well though. Is an awesome grouse gun.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta