Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: J Crummey..... Virginia  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunsmith: J Crummey..... Virginia
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »
Amongst Virginia's recognized and highly talented gunsmiths.

Here is the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12508.0

Please comment as a "reply" here.

The Museum Committee

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: J Crummey..... Virginia
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
What's going on with the ramrod tip in that one shot?  Is that some sort of fouling scraper, or is it broken?

Thanks

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:36:28 AM »
to Scooter: Again we thank you for complimenting the pictures with all available historical information....indeed, a fine partnership.
Hurricane

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:43:28 AM »
Jim -

May I add the history to the exhibit? If you don't mind I'll slightly edit your personal comments as I have no wish to offend the owner of this rifle. Probably not appropriate to include "crummy" in the library if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

B
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
I'd like to see your rifles, Scooter - I mean the ones you made.  I think Crummey was a solid maker and while not the carver or engraver that his neighbors might have been, his rifles have nice lines and show competent, stylish work. 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »
Ryan,

While Scooter presented his opinion in a needlesly harsh tone, whether or not he has ever built a gun (well or otherwise) is of no consequence. There are many well educated students of the longrifle who are not builders.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline nord

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
Gentlemen -

While many may not agree, Scooter made a point and declared it his personal opinion. He has that right just as you have the right to disagree.

Scooter... "Personally I consider Crummey to be a third tier maker of his era. I have seen 1 really nice Crummey rifle and rest were, well, pretty crummy. To each his own."

Please let's not make this into a fight. Nothing posted has been outside the boundaries of ALR rules. No profanity, no threats, just an opinion that makes some of us cringe a bit.

Thank You,
Nord
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.