Author Topic: Gentleman brought over this old rifle  (Read 14178 times)

Offline Don Getz

Re: Gentlemen brought over this old rifle
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
With all of my comments about Joe Long guns, I never really looked on this gun as coming out of Joe Long's shop, it just
doesn't quite fit his mold.   Doesn't the trigger guard of this gun somewhat resemble those of the Baums?  On the other
hand, Joe Long was almost identified with his football sideplate, and it is a fact that he worked with Morrison.  Did he get
this idea from Morrison, or did they just share it?   It is not a common sideplate that you find on other guns..........Don

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 04:37:08 AM »
Let's compare the parts and pieces to other known rifles/makers:

1.  The patchbox looks much like a Charles Baum.  I saw this before on J. Bates and Morrison, but by far, this is more consistent with Baum.  See the KRA DVD for the Bates rifles I am referring too--going from my memory, I think it is quite similar.  the patchobx of the Morrison sold at Julia's a few years back is more like Long's concentric half circle side rails.   

2.  The carving looks more like the Baum shop, than others.

3.  The sidelock is most often associated with Morrison, but I think siomeone other than Morrison was making these things and selling them because I know of sidelocks on just about every maker's rifes. 

4.  The football sideplate is hands down Joe Long, but also on Morrison and Filman in Milton, Northumberland County.  Again, the football apears on Baum rifles, too and the cello and puzzle piece shaped cut out is a nice touch--more like the figural inlays from Bates. 

5.  The others parts are not terribly distinguishing in the Upper Susquehanna.  The inlays and finial are interesting with a four pointed star/flower.

Maybe we should take Long from the equation and I should revise my percentages from an earlier post as an equal chance of three makers---Morrison, Baum or Bates.  I don't think it is Horn, but you would swear that he was from Union County if his guns weren't signed.   

Offline Loudy

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
KirkD,
Thank you for posting your photos of this great rifle!  What a fantastic example of a Union / Snyder County, PA longrifle... in un-restored as-found condition.  Thanks also to the owner of the rifle for allowing the photos to be posted.   

Spotz,
I appreciate the comparative information you provided regarding the work of probable makers of this rifle.  I am unfamiliar with gunsmith "J. Bates".  Do you have any details regarding where specifically he worked and/or additional information about known guns attributed to him? 

Don,
Your suggestion regarding the lock inlet is a good one.  A quick peek behind the lock plate would tell us whether or not the mule-ear is original to the gun or not.  Seeing that "Long & Morrison" signed rifle must have been "interesting" indeed!  I wish we knew more about gunsmith Samuel Morrison.  He was clearly one of the more influential makers to have worked in the Upper Susquehanna region.

Mark Loudenslager         

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »
I viewed a few "Bates" attributed rifles over the years, and I believe he was in the Montour County area (east of Union and Snyder).  I will look for more infomration.  Morrison is an interesting maker and I have heard speculation that he was originally from New England, but who knows...guesses are just that until proven, but that football sure does look like the oblong sideplate of New England...just a thought.