Author Topic: Adjusting English style shot pouch for 20 gauge  (Read 3429 times)

Offline frogwalking

Adjusting English style shot pouch for 20 gauge
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
I have a standard English shot measuring device on my shot pouch.  It seems to be designed for a larger gauge shotgun as it has two choices of shot quantities.  1 1/4 oz. and 1 1/2 oz.  I know some of you shoot 1 1/4 oz of shot, but my 20 bore seems to like one oz.  I am considering bending sheet  brass into a tube that will just slide into the existing measuring chamber and try to see how much shot it then throws.  I can cut it shorter to get the right quantity and epoxy it into place.  Of course, soldering would work, but the whole thing is soldered together so I might do more damage than good.  I have replaced the very thin blades that cut off the shot with more substantial ones I made from thicker brass.  They seem to work just the same. 

Does anyone have a better idea or comments on this one?   ???
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

BrownBear

Re: Adjusting English style shot pouch for 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:14:55 AM »
I'm looking at the same thing, and till now I had figured to hack it shorter so I can dispense either 1 oz or 1 1/4 oz.  But thanks to the alternatives you pose, I've got more to think about.  I'll watch for the answers you get.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »
One of the big reasons I prefer the Irish. You can get extra "scoops," and dedicate them to smaller amounts of shot for smaller bores. All you have to do is insert a filler--like a stack of card discs or a suitably thinned cushion. Or beeswax, or leather, or bondo, or epoxy, or...

Don't know of any simple way to do it with the English. ::)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
Taylor had the same problem with his Irish measure-topped shot snake.  Removed the screw, took the tube off the base and poured in 20 minute epoxy about 1/4" or so deep in the base.  The measure now throws 1 1/8oz when set at the lowest throw, instead of 1 1/2oz.  You cannot trust the stricken measure with any shot size.  I suspect the English measure is no more accurate.

A straight tube (English Measure) can have a shim soldered inside rather easily, reducing the capacity. I'd not use paper, the easiest to install (epoxy) as it will become damp and wet with humidity.

I have a (replica) leather covered Dixon Flask that I compressed the nossel on beneath 3 drams and it throws exactly 3 drams.  According to the chart I have, 3 drams stricken measure is just barely over 1 1/8oz.  A 1" sheet of brass shim stock, curled and soldered inside might reduce that to 1oz.
In my flint 20, I use that flask with shot and throw the 1 1/8oz, driven by 70gr. of powder.  It dusts birds just fine. 70gr. is roughly 2 5/8drams.  68gr. is 2 1/2 drams,  75gr. is 2 3/4 drams,  20 bore loads.

Offline ChipK

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
I used a foam ear plug in one once to make it fit a 24 gage.  Worked well and never can out.