Author Topic: Stuff in a Bag  (Read 4304 times)

northmn

Stuff in a Bag
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:49:16 AM »
Thought I would share some thoughts on what is handy to have in the bag or in pockets when out in the field.  Hardly period correct but they are handy.
Wrist watch.  When on stand or hunting squirrels,  watches keep give me a reference so I know how long I have been sitting there.  Rather important some days. 
Cleaning patches and presoaked cleaning patches.  Don't really hurt to clean after shots at times.
Cleaning jags for above.
I found a source for a 4" ramrod extender which also helps for above.
Patch worm in case patches fall off.
Cell phones, shut off are not all dumb in case of emergency.  I went hunting with a younger person that answered his phone in the middle of a grouse trail.  He does not know how close that phone came to becoming a clay pidgeon.
Water
Toilet paper.
Usual shooting supplies like powder, ball etc.

Hardly definitive but I thought worth some ideas.

DP

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Stuff in a Bag
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »
I carry cleaning patches soaked in rubbing alcohol in a plastic baggie, just for those real cold days when spit freezes patches to sides of bore.    Gary

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »
I use Mink Oil for hunting in freezing weather so I cannot think of a reason to have to wipe the bore, so no cleaning supplies, however the little equipment bag that sits in my possibles bag, as jag, worm, screw, spare nipple & wrench or flint, flint wrap , spare vent pick - for all calibres I have. Of course, flask or horn of powder, balls, tin of pre-lubed patches - or if big game hunting, loading block with 3 to 6 balls patched - or 4 or 5 ctgs. for the .69 along with capper wheel, full so I don't have to look for a fresh cap on it's perifery - there is always one there for the fast second shot if it's full.  Waterproof tin with 1/2 dozen caps in pack.
In my pack, I carry toilet paper, bandaids, small first aide kit, small flashlight, compass - small diameter high stength braided rope - on the belt, knives, steel, skinning axe.

Offline dave gross

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
I find that I tend to carry too much stuff.  Powder horn filled to the stopper, at least 50 balls, all kinds and quantities of patches, fire starting stuff, a couple of knives and on and on.  I think of my grandfather's  hunting kit....5 rounds of 30-40 Krag for the Winchester model 95, a Marble knife on the belt, a couple dozen wooden matches and a pack of Luckies.  He brought home a lot of venison without benefit of three patterns of camo, variable power scopes on super magnum rifles or alumimum tree climbing stands.  Things have surely changed.

Dave Gross
Way Down East in Maine

northmn

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
I carry cleaning patches soaked in rubbing alcohol in a plastic baggie, just for those real cold days when spit freezes patches to sides of bore.    Gary

Never used spit patches for hunting, always some form of grease.  One recomendation I remember that I have yet to try is salt free tub butter as it is designed to stay somewhat soft when cold.  Daryl's mink oil is probably also good.  Even for squirrel hunting I use a grease type patch.  Right now Bore Butter as I have a bunch of it. As to the amount for shooting.  I have carried a 31 cal pistol flask full of 3f for those rifles I use it in, I have a very small priming horn I like, and about 5 ball with patches.  I recently made a small horn for my 25 that is slightly to big for a priming horn but a lot smaller tahn most horns. 
Had an interesting experience today.  I stopped by a bunch of oaks and got out my 20 smoothbore.  While I was cleaning it and getting it ready I noticed a grouse watching me that was roosted in a tree well within range. It flew before I could get ready.  Only grouse I saw all morning.  Must be too hot out for the squirrels or I was too late as the only two I saw were barely in range of my 17HRM, which I did not have.  Should carry the guns unprimed but loaded when I go anywhere out in the woods.  Oh well.

DP

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 03:49:58 AM »
Yes I should have clarified my statment alittle better, as I some times use spit on my cleaning patches after a shot and if the temps are way down there as they often are in the Dakotas in Nov.-Dec. the spit patch will sometimes freeze to the bore and have you looking for your coffee thermos.  I use bore butter or some such concoction for reg. patch lube.    Gary

BrownBear

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
Less is more for a hunting rig in my book.  As the years pass, my load goes down.  Mine has a 3-shot loading block, a capper if that's the gun I am carrying, a tool kit no bigger than half a deck of cards, and a little drawstring bag of 6 spare balls and patches with a cap tin of lube.  Enuff.  In truth it would all fit in one coat pocket.

I've even gone to a very small horn, so small it would qualify as a "priming" horn in most opinions.  It holds around 600 grains of powder- plenty for 8-10 loads in most of my guns.

Total load including bag weight? Maybe a pound.

Food, water, tronics, extra clothes are carried elsewhere and not in my shooting bag.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
If one wants to reduce what is carried to what is essential, no first aide or 'survival' paraphernalia, then 5 paper ctg.s (powder and ball) and a capper is all that's needed. The gun already has the ramrod for loading - nothing else is really required, but around here, you never kown.  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:39:19 PM by Daryl »

northmn

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »
I just browsed through Gander Mountain and saw rolls of blaze orange toilet paper at 4.99 a Roll.  I am sure some of you are impressed with that item and want to rush out to get some.  Keepint things bare weight for shooting is fine.  One other item I have carried is either some decoy rope, bailer twine or black tape.  I ahve shot more than one deer off of X sticks cut out in the edge of a field.

DP